Florida - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Florida

Default Re: 2 traps out. 2 swarms in.

Florida Gulf coast area. 5 Mar 1030 hrs found a large swarm in pine tree in my yard about 10 foot high. I shook them into a box with a frame of brood and honey real easy. 7 Mar set 5 frame nuc in a pecan tree about 10 foot high with 4 foundation frames and one old brood frame and a drop or two of lemon grass oil. 12 Mar I had a new hive busy setting up house. I don't think any came from my hives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2 traps out. 2 swarms in.

Florida Panhandle (Okaloosa County) boxed a swarm from one of my hives on afternoon of Feb 22.

Got two in the week of 3/11/2018.

One very easy, the other on the ground and tangled in the lower branches of a bush and they would NOT go into the box, no matter what I baited it with. Or I'd get 4/5ths of them in the box and thought it was good but then they'd walk right out again. Took several days/attempts before I finally got em for good.

Default Re: Florida

March 10, 2018
    Found a swarm when picking up a nuc box. Swarm was in his yard and huddled under an occupied hive. Cloudy weather.

Set a bait hive on 3-28-18, found a small swarm occupying it on 4-09-18. Used a ten-frame deep, 3 feet above grade with one old brood comb and two drops of LGO.

Florida Panhandle area; Navarre, Florida: One swarm on the 6th of March, one swarm on the 7th of March. I believe both were castoffs from one of my hives. Since I have been deployed, my wife tells me another swarm (14 April 2019) that she believes moved into my swarm bait hive the next day.

JB

Maybe you got one of Heather's swarms?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Anything is possible, I reckon. That would be great for genetic diversity in my beeyard as well. I need to get back to the club meetings when I return stateside.

JB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234