Connecticut - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Connecticut

Default Re: Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by Mapleone View Post
    Yesterday I came home to find a large swarm 30' up in a fir tree. Successfully captured.
    How?
    David. Cheerful beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I thought it was a good idea, my wife said I was nuts. Basically I built a step ladder out of two extension ladders. Attached and rigged so there was no chance of failure. I should know better as I've been in construction for 30 plus years ( not OSHA approved ). I gave the higher swarm a thought for 30 seconds then that tiny bit of common sense in by brain took over.

This swarming time of year always makes me wish I had an old telephone company truck with a cherry picker.

I know, however, that having that sort of vehicle show up in my driveway would lead to the dissolution of a heretofore happy marriage.

well when it rains it pours! Day three and another swarm from one of my hives. This time it was slightly higher than my catch on Friday. This time I used a Bee Vac that I made earlier. Everything was going great until I realized the vac gate damper was almost fully closed. Sad to say i lost the swarm. Leason learned. I need a day off from this hobby.

06074 South Windsor CT
    5/25/18
    Two swarms caught in flower pot swarm traps. Not my bees. One was a large 5 lb swarm and a the other was much smaller at about 1.5 lbs.

I had a swarm move into a swarm trap on 5/24. Woke up this morning to one of my hives decided an overcast drizzle day was a good time to swarm. They ended up 60' in a maple tree. They are still there now at 7:15.
    The swarm trap was transferred to a 10 frame hive. Very healthy size swarm. So I lost one and gained one!

No swarms into my swarm traps in New Haven, and no swarms from my hives. I've been proactive in providing plenty of room for the queen to lay while the maple/dandelion/fruit tree blooms occurred.

I've now tried to consolidate the brood nest and provide supers atop the brood nest with the nectar containing frames and additional empty supers for the black locust, clover, and tulip tree nectar flow. Hoping for more than I can handle...

I had performed a couple splits trying to prevent some swarming action. I caught another small swarm and had another move into a swarm trap. The large swarm high up in the tree is still there. Hopefully they move into a swarm trap. When it rains it pours.

Today, 6/5/2019. Litchfield county. I'm assuming from the size of it (looks big to me, but I've never caught a swarm before) it can't be from the nuc I bought in April. It has to be from the split I made over a month ago. Then I put on supers a couple of weeks ago. Now the thing swarms anyway. The queenless-side of the split had a queen just last week or so. I went away for 4 days, walk out of my house at noon to hear a loud roar of bees and happened to see where it landed. It still isn't completely in the box, but I'm going out now to hopefully reign them all in off the tarp. They're still buzzing around like mad and nailed me 3 times already. So much for gentle swarms! (well, one was definitely my fault)

swarm2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimbo3; 06-05-2019 at 07:22 PM.

06470, Newtown, CT (Fairfield County)
    Bees swarmed sometime 8-12-19, found and captured.
    Comments - We have 10 hives of various sizes and queen rightness. We suspected this swarm came from the largest hive two (2) 8 frame brood boxes, three (3) medium supers and two ekes. I checked this morning and the population is fine, with Eggs and a marked yellow (2017) queen. All our queen right hives are marked so I will work through them and try where this swarm originated (downpour during the middle of the inspection today). We have some neighbors with hives, and although it is possible as you can see in the pictures, this swarm found its way to the bottom of a 5 frame nuc. I was in the yard early yesterday morning and didn't see the swarm so I assume the swarmed yesterday while I was at work.
    Swarm.jpgSwarm 1.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123