California - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: California

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

First call of the year this morning in San Carlos, CA 94070. Very early considering the months of overcast weather we have had.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Found one in my beeyard about 2-25-10
    blythe,ca

I caught a swarm last week on 2/26/10 it was a realy nice day glad I caught them that night we had a bad storm Arroyo Grande Ca.

Talked to a fellow Beek, she picked up a small swarm on Saturday (3-6-10) in Amador/Sacramento county area, from her neighbors yard.

Clements, CA this morning. Got an email about them last night that they arrived around 5pm. Called the guy up this morning and went and got them. He offered to pay me, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. The thrill was enough pay for me and it was only 20 miles from my house.

Got my second for the season. This time I was building some supers in my backyard yesterday and one decided to move in during constructin. Arroyo Grande Ca.

If you build it they will come

Got a call today to pick up a large swarm, before I could get the truck loaded the lady called back to say they where gone.
    They had been there over 24 hours.

Just got a call an hour later. It seems they moves a mile or so into the wall under a lady's front porch.
    Last edited by KQ6AR; 03-16-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    Dan

I caught a small swarm March 17 in Hacienda Heights, Ca. 91745.

Here at work, I was told of two other swarms in the Long Beach California area around the same time.

The weather here has just switched from cool rainy weather to hot and sunny. I thought it may have something to do with all the swarms taking flight.

Friday, April 02, 2010
    Postal zone 93010, southern California
    I have hived or collected five swarms over the past two weeks.
    We have had some colder weather and a small amount of rain so I expect to see a few more swarms.
    Some swarms were reported the 1st week of March.
    The 80 to 85 degrees F weather plus the hives needed room ,supering, probably contributed to some of the swarms.
    I expect to see more swarms when we get back into the 80's next Wednesday.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Just got home from capping a swarm on a small tree in Tracy, CA 95304. They landed on Saturday, and the weather kept them down. Sunday was UGLY, wind, rain, cold, you name it!

Craig

Galt, CA 95632. I was getting ready to go to work and showing the wife where I placed the hive I just brought home. From where I was, I could see shadows buzzing around outside the window. I thought it was the new hive getting settled in and learning their new homes location. When I opened the blinds, I saw they were facing my house while flying around, I thought, "why are they looking at my house?" When I looked up at the roof, I got my answer. There was a swarm hanging from my roof. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS, I have to leave in 15 mins!!! I check the hive I just brough home, they were all still busy and appeared happy, so it wasn't them. I got the ladder and placed it under the swarm, knocked a bunch of bees in a nuc with some frames and placed the hive near where they were hanging. Must have not gotten the queen, cause when I got home the box was empty and they were clustered on the house again. Well, that's the bad news, the good is, tomorrow I get another crack at em!

Craig

Concord 94519
    Dan

Dang, see how work is a bad thing? Missed swarm call at 5:11 pm tonight. Stockton, CA zip unknown. Someone picked it up a couple of hours ago.

Craig

Got a call last night about a swarm 30 miles away and as I was about to hang up. I noticed a swarm about 25 feet from my hives. I checked my hives they didnt come from mine. So two swarms one afternoon 93420 and thats after working my 10 hour work day.
    Last edited by renegade980; 04-08-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: left out information

Does it count if it came out of one of your other hives? if so, Galt, 95632 around 12:30 pm. I was placing the other swarm, that I lured with the frame of brood into a nuc when I heard loud buzzing coming from where my other hives are. I looked over and saw a bunch of bees in the air. I walked over to the hives and the bees were just pouring out of one of my hive. I just kept watching to see where they went. Ladder where the old swarm was, side of the house, then my pool in the back yard, followed by the neighbors tree. With the gardener next door mowing, another one using a line trimmer and the last one using a leaf blower (all gas), I couldn't hear the bees anymore and the number of bees I could see flying was getting less and less. I was scanning the tree and not finding any. I was ready to kill the gardener. They didn't speak any English and I know it's not their fault they were mowing the lawn, just doing what they were hired to do. I Walked away from them so I wouldn't say something. I walked back to the hives to look around and there was a cluster of bees about the size of a cantaloupe under the hive that swarmed. It was too early to be bearding, so I thought maybe they were just gathering waiting for the queen. I started scooping bees into another nuc and was just sitting out there watching to see what they would do. There were still bees everywhere, but I saw a small cluster on the front top left side of the nuc. As I was looking at it, there she was. I saw her bald thorax and head sticking out of the group! I carefully scooped up the cluster and verified that the queen was there. I placed my hand over the nuc and plcaed it on top of the frames in the nuc and tried to coax her onto the frames. She landed on her back and was trying to right herself, she didn't get a chance. All the bees that were with her, literally dragged her down into the frames. If it would have been a cartoon, you probably would have seen her leave nail marks as she was dragged away against her will.
    Well, needless to say, I am very happy right now, 3 swarms in 3 days

Craig.

Just got home from Valley Springs with another swarm. Zip code 95252

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by LSBees View Post
    Caught a swarm 89701 Carson City Nevada, too bad it was from one of my hives

I say it's all good, sometimes nature just happens. It could have been worse, someone else could have caught em.

Clements again this morning. Biggest one yet, close to 5 lbs

Hi, I am here in Central California--Monterey Peninsula. My big, beautiful hive swarmed at least 4 times--on April 7 and April 9. I was able to recapture and hive those 4 swarms--happily! Zip code is 93924

Congrats guys! Nic pics too!

Craig

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast