Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: California

medium sized swarm of dark bees. black queen. 95684
    when given star thistle make honey

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Thursday 8/21/08

94401, several frames, in bloom are red eucalyptus, texas privet, others. Bigger than a late supersedure swarm.

Default If this really was a swarm.

10pm at night on Friday September 19th at a hotel in Carmel Mountain, San Diego, CA 92128

Tuesday 23rd, another good sized, 18" off the ground on trunk of a small palm tree, 92064
    Last edited by geoffkb; 09-24-2008 at 06:42 AM.
    http://bees-on-the-net.com/bs
    Bees give me a buzz!

Default Is this the last swarm of 2008?

I collected a small swarm from an olive tree on Sunday 21st, the winter solstice!

I know our climate in San Diego is mild, but the first day of winter?

Geoff
    Last edited by geoffkb; 01-21-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    http://bees-on-the-net.com/bs
    Bees give me a buzz!

March 19, 94702

Default 4 swarms in 93010

Prime swarms:
    March 17, 2009 (1)
    March 20, 2009 (1)

After swarms:
    March 18, 2009 (01)
    March 19, 2009 ( 01)
    Zip code: 93010
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

location - California (Central Coast near San Luis Obispo)
    weather - Sunny, about 65-70 for the past few days...rain on the way
    origin of swarm if known - unknown
    date - April 6th, 2009

Large swarm in fruit tree April 05. Tulare county Calif.

Bait hives filled this week:
    2 - 94402
    1 - 94010
    1 - 94062
    1 - 94027
    1 - 94063
    All small swarms.

swarm caught 94402

Default swarm

april 19 2009 95232

3 swarms in 3 days-March 17, 18, 19 2009, all from the same hive
    Menlo Park, CA

Default late entry

had one of two hives swarm twice one week apart. the other standing pat. week of 4 2. orange bloom the next week and one full super the week after that. urban backyard hives.

Default Bay area swarm

I saw a swarm this evening, CA 94901, descended on a eucalyptus tree about 15 ft up in a hollow that used to be one side of a y branch upwards. I didn't know how deep the hollow was at first, and was brushing bees out. I got about half of them into a cardboard box when I saw some old comb. This spot must be like a stopover for bees, because it must flood when it rains.

Default Lincoln CA Swarm

I got my bees from a second swarm so it was quite small - the primary swarm must have been earlier. They were Italians? but unsure if they were from a domestic or feral colony. They were captured on the 14th of april in Lincoln CA and now live in Sacramento. Weather was in the 70's that day and it was warm early this year.
    Hope that helps. I have a friend who does swarm calls in the Sacramento area and she got her first call on February 27.

I happened to be dropping off smoker fuel at my mother in law house and thought i'd check on her hives. one hive was boiling over with thousands of bees. they swarmed and landed 30 feet away in a plum tree. went home and got an empty Lang and was able to shake them in. couple hundred on the landing board began fanning and with in 30 minutes most of the stragglers joined the hive.

95632 swarm came in on Easter (4-12-09) and took up residence in a balcony of a friends house. Extraction was 2 days later.

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

6-28-09 Wife's birthday, so she got an unexpected present. Got the call about 5 pm that a small swarm had landed in a tree up in Pine Grove, which is about 1 hour from here. Grabbed a nuc box and a frame of nectar from the hive in the back yard along with 2 undrawn frames and loaded up. Cap'd them about 6:30pm. Let the nuc sit for an hour and an half still full of bees and most the the extras settled in, so I think I got em. Put the hive in the backyard around 10pm and there is a few hanging out on the front porch, but the hive I stole the frame from has some sitting out there too..was 107 here today. Kinda jazzed, first swarm that was in a tree, hell of a lot easier than ripping out a wall! Prob about 1 to 1.5 lbs of bees.

Ug, the heartbreak of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Was told by a lady my wife knew that a large swarm had taken up residence this morning in downtown Lodi, which is only 15 mins south of me. I guess someone called it in and the local police volunteers showed up to divert people away while they waited on a call to animal control. This info was passed on to me about 4 hours after the fact. I called the PD and was informed that they were already dealt with, tho not sure what exactly that means. This is the 3rd swarm I have heard of in the last 2 weeks in just casual conversations. Going camping this weekend up country, kinda close to where I got my swarm last week, guess I will take my supplies just in case. Cross your fingers I'll bring back a souvenir.

Got call from local PD yesterday for a swarm, but when I got there, the patch of bees that were on the wall was small. As I looked closer, I noticed that they were bring in pollen, so I think this is and established hive in the wall and that someone just saw the extra bees bearding outside. The building has a stucco exterior and where they are at is accessable from both the roof side and the outter wall side. The building is also for rent, but as of yet the owner has not returned my phone call, so I am curious, is there any way to lure them out in into a nuc that I can place near by or is extraction the only choice?

Two swarms caught the other day. Usually see a couple a month this time of year weather is still in the 70's here.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast