Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Arkansas

35K views 69 replies 27 participants last post by  AHudd 
#1 ·
Got a large swarm from my brothers hive on March 21st, he had been feeding them and adding some frames but missed the queen cells.

#27 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Fayetteville AR 72701 I attempted to capture a swarm. When I got up to them they were all buzzing pretty loud and when I brushed them into my box they took for the sky. 15 minutes later there were only maybe five bees in the box. They had not returned to the limb either. But, there was a lot of activity by what the home owner had pointed out was a bee tree. So, I don't know if they decided to head back to the original tree or if I got there just as they had decided to take off for wherever they were going.

#35 ·

Searcy, Arkansas (North Central) 11-2-2013 got a call about 4:00PM about a swarm on a redbud tree in Searcy.
I loaded up and totally thought it would turn out to be a wasp nest but when I arrived low and behold there was a cluster of honey bees.
I used a Bee Vac and left them in the cage that night in my house.
Next day I put them in a 6 frame hive and gave them a baggie of sugar syrup 2-1 with pro health.
Next day I merged them with another 6 frame hive and now they are doing great.
It's awfully late in the year but there they were.
I will take it they were feral bees.
Weather was 43 degrees F, clear, no wind.

#39 ·

Caught two swarms out of the 4 swarm traps ive got out and had a swarm call yesterday. And have had scout bees around the other two traps for a week. The last week ive been hearing of alot of swarms that other people are finding and catching in traps in this area.

#40 ·

Swarm caught today in Siloam Springs, AR (72761). Came from a bee tree in my neighbor's yard. Heard them buzzing from about fifty feet away and got their in time to watch the cluster form on a branch about 10' off the ground. Snipped the branch and hived them - hoping they stick around!!

#43 ·

I caught two swarms June 3 in five frame deep nucs with medium frames on side of tree 7' up, Searcy, Arkansas 72143.
Weather has been rainy and humid most days for the last several weeks. I've caught a total of 5 swarms since May 1.

#44 ·

Two of my own hives finally swarmed today, 6-7-14, temps in the high 80s and partly sunny, but had rain almost every day for weeks. Central Arkansas 72143

#46 ·

Siloam Springs, AR 72761

Warm day in the mid 70s with rain early and a mix of clouds and sun in the afternoon.
Watched one of my (3) hives send out a swarm at about 11:30 AM...which then landed at the highest point in my entire yard :(
Top of an old oak tree about 40'-50' up...couldn't get them, they flew away and found a new home.

#48 ·

Earlier today , here in Stone County Arkansas . Stepped outside to check on some seedling in my hot box just as they were getting a good start . Bees now hived in a new box I had on hand for a split next month ... I'm seeing orientation behavior , hope that means they'll stay .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.