Alabama - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Alabama

Default Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

Yesterday, 3/20/2019, Birmingham, AL.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Swarm boxed
    3/23/2019
    Vestavia Hills
    Jefferson CO. 35216

Saw one of my hive swarming, or so I though. They landed 30 feet up in a magnolia tree.
    When I went down the path between my hive and the magnolia tree I heard a small roar behind me. I turned to look and there was a calm swarm 2-3 feet off the ground in a gardenia bush.

Lifting the branch, I slide a deep and medium (with old comb in it) under them, then lowered the branch so the swarm was in contact with the old comb. They moved right in.

The one in the tree may have been part of this swarm because they dispersed and a lot of bees were flying around the box I had just placed under the swarm.

The gardenia bush is right next to my hives. They had been there long enough to build a little comb. The ones in the magnolia tree may have been these bees about to move on.

Considering the location in my gardenia bush I'm sure they were my bees.

So I've had 2 or 3 of my hives swarm in the past 2 weeks and I've caught two of them.

There may have been a 4th one because the guy next door said he saw a swarm of bees over the creek near the road between our houses during last week. But he also thought he had a swarm in his attic which turned out to be 3 to 5 scout bees and a couple that come in his bathroom through the vent.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

looks like the swarm that I saw yesterday, actually swarming around and pouring out of my hive (P1), and then dissipated while I was collection the swarm in the gardenia bush, was a practice swarm.

Today they swarmed around like yesterday but have now settled back on the front of the hive.

Which begs the question, at what point is it too late to do swarm prevention? could I have checker boarded them yesterday for example and they would have been happy?

and in the time it's taken to type this up they've all gone back in

Once the bees have decided to swarm, there is almost nothing you can do to stop them. What you can do is make an artificial swarm right then. Grab the queen and shake a bunch of bees into a hive with a drawn frame or two and move them across the yard. Go back into the original hive and get rid of all but two of the swarm cells, or make a few nucs wirh the other cells and leave the original hive with only three or four frames of bees. Most of the foragers will return anyhow so bee aggressive.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: Alabama

3/09-12/2019
    Jefferson Co.
    Vestavia Hills, Al

Small swarm in a new trap in new location in may yard.
    I thought for sure I had them ,then no, then yes, then maybe, then looked pretty definitive on the 12th when I saw a drone and a hive beetle fly in.

checked inside today and yep, small swarm.

foot note... this trap started off in mid March with a plastic top and inner cover which was all I had at the time. I bought them just to check it out.
    Anyway, there was a scout or two but it wasn't until I replaced the plastic top and inner cover with wood did they really get interested. I think it was too bright inside.

Neighbor posted on Nextdoor about a swarm yesterday. I went and gathered them up today. Oddly they were on the ground in the street -- yard folks had been pulling out a bunch of bamboo from behind the house and they were on the ground next to the pile. He put a mail carrier box over them yesterday evening (it was pretty cold last night, and storms the night before) and thought they'd left, but when he checked today they were still there. So -- I baited a cardboard box with lgo, scooped up the queen and put her in there, and then ran off to a previously made appointment. Came back 1.5 hours later and they'd all moved to my box! Taped them up with the help of my almost 3 year old (she sat in the car and cut tape mostly) around sunset, and installed them in a deep with an interior jar feeder. This is a pretty tiny swarm and may not make it -- but I did see the queen, so that's good. Does being on the ground mean that she can't fly / is old?

Naomi

Update. Left the hive, are on the ground in front of it, 10 feet down. (Hive on the porch, ball of bees off the porch.) Thought maybe I overdid it with the lgo in the cardboard box, so I put the box down next to the ball of bees on the ground and hopefully they'll crawl in. I'm feeling more and more that something's off with this swarm. . . .

Naomi

First "known" swarm in our area was in Dothan from member of our bee club hives which he caught on Wednesday March 4, 2020. Second was yesterday by a friend in Newville area also caught and from one of his hives. First from my hives in Ozark was today March 17th. Pitched 40 to 45 feet up in large oak near my hives. Unless they settle in one of my swarm traps all I can do is wave bye to them.

2/29/2020
    Covington County, Alabama
    Andalusia

Caught a swarm issuing on video on February 29, 2020. I was already doing splits, so I broke into the hive to harvest swarm cells. I found the new queen emerging from her cell. Caught a little of that on video too.

https://youtu.be/NZmTcDe3h1E

I cough my own swarm a couple of days ago
    3/16/2020
    Jefferson Co.

and FYI, in my area, the flow is on and I plan to add suppers this afternoon.

Cough another of my own.
    3/18/2020
    Jefferson Co.

3/19/2020
    Athens
    Limestone County

Caught a swarm in one of my swarm traps this afternoon that was sitting here at the house waiting to be put out.

Say to go there!!! Decatur, and Cullman hives.

I have a hive that I thought had failed to re-queen this spring and was dwindling.
    I was planning to break it down this week.
    2 days ago I saw what looked like orientation flights and though maybe it managed to re-queen/survive.
    Those must have been scouts because yesterday a huge swarm moved in.

5/4/2020
    Vestavia Hills
    Jefferson County

5/24/2020
    Vestavia Hills
    Jefferson County

Quote Originally Posted by R_V View Post
    I cough my own swarm a couple of days ago
    3/16/2020
    Jefferson Co.

and FYI, in my area, the flow is on and I plan to add suppers this afternoon.
    so a side note about this swarm.. they were on the ground when I caught them.
    I placed a deep hive on top of them (full of drawn comb) propped up on one end by a 4x4x4 block of wood.
    They made their way in the hive and the next morning I went down to move them on top of a BB and saw they were still hanging down off the frames. So I should have just moved them on top of the BB and made them adjust but instead I placed an empty medium super on the BB and them the deep. I planned to come back in a day or so and remove the medium but got side tracked for a week. Well the next week when I went to remedy the situation I looked between the deep and medium and they had been very busy and built 5 or more inches of comb off them bottom of the frames.
    Rather that fix it now I decided I'd fix in the fall.

8 WEEKS LATER
    Last week we had lots of rain and one of the stand's legs sunk into the ground and the toppled over. I had added a QE and a deep honey super that was getting fairly full. Luckily it went down at noon and I heard it.
    I placed 1x10" boards under the stand feet.
    The original deep and medium were still together and I was able to place them back on the BB with minimal damage to the extended comb on the bottom of the frames. Some broke off when I lifted it but most stayed in the medium.
    I know there was broken cells by the amount of honey on the BB. The night was warm and they spent the first night on the outside of the hive. It got cool the next few nights so they stayed mostly inside on those nights.
    The bees were pi$$ed and stayed that way for days. There's still one or two bees that are antagonistic.

SWARMS??
    During this event and the next few days I had tons of activity on the 2 swarm traps that are near my hives.
    At first I thought I was catching two swarms at the same time.
    After about 3 days I chalked it up to the fallen bees having PTSD and were looking to move.
    I added a medium of drawn brood comb on top of the deep (to replace what was messed up under the deep) then put the QE and the deep super back on top.

At this point I think the fallen bees have cleaned up they mess inside their hive and were happy with the new space so they decided they were going to stay.

5 or so days later, I did catch a swarm today (above post earlier today).

Quote Originally Posted by R_V View Post
    5/24/2020
    Vestavia Hills
    Jefferson County
    I always catch a late May swarm in this same location.
    I went to add frames and found this is what they've done in 4 days.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910