Should I harvest honey

Default Should I harvest honey

Here in Northern California, early spring is here. As I drive through central valley (Fresno area) to Redding, I see bees situated for pollination of nut trees everywhere... 300 mile stretch.

My wife's small orchard is getting ready to bloom.. and some of the brood chambers are full of frames capped with honey. Really...I have to think there's no room for the queen to lay. Would hate to have her swarm.

Treated for mites in October, and (knock on wood) I think we have successfully made it through our first winter.

I thought the honey in the hive would be consumed through winter, but not really.

Should I harvest?

Thanks,
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Should I harvest honey

You might consider the treatment you used and was the honey in place at the time of treatment. If the honey is fit to consume then I would think you could harvest it as the new year's nectar flow begins. Here in Virginia in past years I have pulled frames of honey in the spring (March-April) and given the bees new frames to build on as the nectar flow starts and the colonies build.

No, leave it for the bees. What is your hive configuration? I've 2 deeps and a medium. That is all for the bees. When a flow starts I add supers, and that is my honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogback Honey View Post
    No, leave it for the bees. What is your hive configuration? I've 2 deeps and a medium. That is all for the bees. When a flow starts I add supers, and that is my honey.
    But there's hardly room for the queen to lay eggs...
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta Bees View Post
    But there's hardly room for the queen to lay eggs...
    What is your hive configuration? Where is the brood? Is there any uncapped comb? Where is it?
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

2 deep with 1 super. Saw the queen on the upper brood chamber and I only see 1 frame with capped brood. Rest of the frames are capped honey or bees filling open combs with honey. Nothing in the super since I just put it there last week. I will check the bottom brood chamber next week. It was 80 degrees here today and expect 70+ degree weather rest of the week.

I did not place the queen excluder below the super.

Are the frames in the super drawn? Either way, if the super is empty, I would not manipulate the frames at this point.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.