Where can I find a SMALL WOMEN'S (or youth) suit??

Default Where can I find a SMALL WOMEN'S (or youth) suit??

Help me beeks! I'm entering my 3rd year of keeping bees and am needing to upgrade my bee suit. For my personal hives (3) I am fine with my jacket & veil. But I frequently work with some of our commercial beekeepers and I really need a full suit. Problem is... I'm 5'1" and petite (honestly I'm probably the size of your average 12 year old). I ordered a HumbleBee XXS suit and it's WAY too long in the body. The legs/arms fit great - but the body portion is so long that the crotch of the suit still hangs to my knees making it hard to even walk. I've searched the net for every bee suit supplier I can find and it seems that IF they have XXS, the suit is still around 60" long from ankle to shoulder. This doesn't work, since I'm 60" long from ankle to top of my HEAD. I know they fit loose... but it's seriously too big. I tried looking for a youth suit (I can generally fit a 14/16 in kids), but seems they only come in toddler or 10/12 - and of the companies who've provided info on the 10-12, they're telling me that the inseam is 23" - which is WAY too short (my inseam is 30").

Prefer a round veil with full visibility (not just a square of mesh at the face). Does anyone know where I might find this?? I'm not sure why the manufacturers seem to think there are no beekeepers between 4ft tall and 5'5".

Would gladly buy someone else's used suit too. I'm not picky - just like to be able to walk while I'm suited up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Where can I find a SMALL WOMEN'S (or youth) suit??

Have you talked to the folks at Blue Sky?

http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/prot..._clothing.html
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I looked at theirs, but don't see a sizing chart (there's one for the jackets, but not the suits). I've sent a message - hopefully they'll get back to me soon. I do see that some of their suits can be custom sized... but man... I'd rather not spend $200 on a suit ($153-175 + $18 for custom + tax/shipping)! Ouch. Was hoping to find one of the $75-85 suits that work.

I use a "Dickies" painter's coverall. White, durable Cotton/Poly, long sleeves and long pants one-piece, just like a bee suit, only it cost $25 on sale from the Dickies company's website.Not on sale, might be a bit more, but not much. Nowhere near the cost of an "official" bee suit! I use rubber bands or velcro strips to close the sleeves off so bees don't go up in there. If you wear gloves you don't even need to do that. I use a separate hat/veil with drawstring over it.

I've been using it almost a year and have never been stung through it. Comfortable, easy, and the price is right! They come in a variety of sizes. Hope this helps!

HI Jen

Check out these guys, JP the Beeman helped design their suits and they ask for measurements when you order.
    http://goldenbeeproducts.com/

You could also try using a set of beekeepers pants paired with your hive jacket. That way the torso length wouldn't matter.

I gave up on suits because I am a short woman, too.

I find a wearing a set of cotton bib overalls (painters' or Carhardt) with my jacket works well for me - lots of pockets! I just whack off the bottom of the legs and make a simple hem. I don't have problems with bees crawling up the legs as I always have my pants legs tucked into socks here to avoid ticks anyway.

Enj.

try beekeepingchicks.com

Quote Originally Posted by JenM View Post
    Help me beeks! I'm entering my 3rd year of keeping bees and am needing to upgrade my bee suit. For my personal hives (3) I am fine with my jacket & veil. But I frequently work with some of our commercial beekeepers and I really need a full suit. Problem is... I'm 5'1" and petite (honestly I'm probably the size of your average 12 year old). I ordered a HumbleBee XXS suit and it's WAY too long in the body. The legs/arms fit great - but the body portion is so long that the crotch of the suit still hangs to my knees making it hard to even walk. I've searched the net for every bee suit supplier I can find and it seems that IF they have XXS, the suit is still around 60" long from ankle to shoulder. This doesn't work, since I'm 60" long from ankle to top of my HEAD. I know they fit loose... but it's seriously too big. I tried looking for a youth suit (I can generally fit a 14/16 in kids), but seems they only come in toddler or 10/12 - and of the companies who've provided info on the 10-12, they're telling me that the inseam is 23" - which is WAY too short (my inseam is 30").

Prefer a round veil with full visibility (not just a square of mesh at the face). Does anyone know where I might find this?? I'm not sure why the manufacturers seem to think there are no beekeepers between 4ft tall and 5'5".

Would gladly buy someone else's used suit too. I'm not picky - just like to be able to walk while I'm suited up.
    We may have a size that works for you. We have suits all the way down to toddler size. Take a look at our site and the sizing charts for our children's bee suits. When you call ask for Stacy as she is our expert on our suits and she can work you through the sizing. Typically we package our suits with the fencing veil, but we have round veils that interchange to them as I recall. Out adult suits run from 3XS to 5XL. We try to have a continuum from the XL childrens suits to the 3XS adult suits.

Rich
    Capital Bee Supply
    Madison, WI
    www.capitalbeesupply.com
    Manufacturers and Purveyors of Fine Beekeeping Equipment

Here on the east coast I would recommend this supplier: http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com...-bee-wear.html

Pete0

I've bought children's suits from beeworks.com. I think they will pretty much make them to order if you like.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thanks everyone. This gives me some more places to check. I got all excited about the beekeepingchicks one... but they're ONLY available in PINK. Ugh. That's a little TOO girly for me. The jackets are available in some decent colors though. Anyway... I'll keep looking. I THINK I might have found a youth suit that might work... still getting details.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Have you talked to the folks at Blue Sky?

http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/prot..._clothing.html
    I'll endorse Blue Sky's NewBee kids' suit, for $60:

child_bee_suit__12148.1386087163.1280.1280.jpg

I have two of these, in Small and Medium.

My son wears the Small during our regular hive visits. He's 12 years old, 5' 0" tall, 100 lbs, and there's a little room to spare, so he can wear it for at least another year.

I put a 5' 4" slim adult in the Medium, and she was fine.

The fabric is just as heavy as on my $90 Dadant suit, and the suit has nice features, like wrist and foot elastic, to keep the suit from riding up/in, and pockets.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

There is a website that make custom bee suits and jackets. http://www.custombeesuits.com. The prices seem reasonable and shipping is free.
    Scott Derrick- Creator Of - Honey-B-Gone Swarm Commander