North Carolina - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina

Default Re: Post Your Bloom Dates - 2015

Rutherfordton, NC 28139

Sourwood

Not sure of exact date, but has just started recently.

Lookin forward to some Honey!!!
    Keep you hive tool sharp, your smoker lit, and your veil tight ... It's Bee Time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Post Your Bloom Dates - 2015

28792 Hendersonville nc. sourwood just starting

Default North Carolina

What is needed:

•zip code, city or county
    •date when the plant first bloomed
    •name of the plant
    •comments - example: if it was the end of the bloom just add that to the comments
    Last edited by Barry; 02-05-2016 at 07:12 AM.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: North Carolina

Brunswick County - Red maple

First noticed swelling buds about 2/5/16 - now fully open on some trees 2/17/16.

Most of the trees on my property are too tall for me to see the blooms close up, but I can see insects of some sort working it and my bees are bringing in a fair amount of pollen when it warms up during the day.

Lincolnton-Western Piedmont

Henbit just started
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 17 years; TF for 12; Zone 7B

Brunswick County

Red Bays ( Persea borbonia ) are blooming and my bees are working them. First noticed blooms starting 3/29

Brunswick County

Wild holly trees have been going for about a week now and yesterday I noticed some of the larger gallberry in sunnier locations are starting to open flowers.

I am in Pender County, do you think you get honey from Red Bay? I always wondered about this plant/tree. I have tons near me but never noticed my bees working it.
    Also wondering if you think the flow is about over? I don't see any more Tulip Poplar. I see some gallberry and scattered others but would love to see more.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinCarolina View Post
    Brunswick County

Wild holly trees have been going for about a week now and yesterday I noticed some of the larger gallberry in sunnier locations are starting to open flowers.
    "Challenger" as in the Mopar muscle car. Not a personality description .
    Keeping bees to raise money for chordoma.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    I am in Pender County, do you think you get honey from Red Bay? I always wondered about this plant/tree. I have tons near me but never noticed my bees working it.
    Also wondering if you think the flow is about over? I don't see any more Tulip Poplar. I see some gallberry and scattered others but would love to see more.
    Thanks

This is the first year I have seen honey bees on the Red Bay - it sure is a sweet smelling flower - it reminds me of citrus blooms - whether or not they make any surplus honey from it I don't know. The flow isn't completely over here but it is winding down - the small gallberry ( inkberry ) is still blooming hard. I have already pulled some honey from my hives and will pull the remainder for the year most likely in about 3 weeks. Had a wonderful flow this year. How did your bees make out up there ?

I came out of winter with low numbers so I didn't have enough bees for surplus honey. I've trapped or retrieved several swarms and am up to 22 hives but they won't give me honey either. I've got supers on but I'll be lucky to get 100 pounds.

Anybody in eastern NC seeing an end to the summer dearth? I'm see a teeny bit of aster, some Japanese Knotweed, titi has some blooms still, and of course the crape myrtles for pollen. Nothing else that is really noticeable. But my bees are bringing in nectar from somewhere. I know they were working the field peas, but they've about played out. Anybody seeing any goldenrod yet?

9/18/16 28377 Golden rod now blooming but the bees are ignoring it in favor of Purple False Foxglove (Agalinis purpurea).

I am in SE NC. I have not seen a drop of honey from a fall bloom of any sort in 7+ years??? Is a golden rod bloom good only once every ten years?

In the north central part of North Carolina on the Virginia state line. Smartweed in full bloom, golden rod here and there, seen bees working morning glorys, and oddly enough bees are working pigweed. Not sure if their getting pollen or nectar or both from the pigweed but sure is nice to see that plant serve a purpose for me for a change. Hard to keep it out of the pastures and choking out the grass.

Forgot to add that I do not feed at all and all hives are full of honey to the point of backfilling the broodnest.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lee View Post
    Forgot to add that I do not feed at all and all hives are full of honey to the point of backfilling the broodnest.
    I don't understand this last post? Are the hives full of honey because of the fall flowers/nectar or are they full going into fall as a matter of your management practices?
    For sure there is no flow in SE coastal NC. I leave my shop door open for a little while and the bees are piling in like robbing maniacs.

Challengers were nice cars back in the day. I have had some wild rides with a 440 under the hood. Sorry to hear you are not having a flow in SE coastal N.C. I am in the north central part of N.C. right on the Virginia line and we have a monster nectar flow on. Smart weed galore. Golden rod on hand as well. I have seen the girls working morning glories and even the dreaded pigweed. As far as management I do not take any honey from my hives other than what is in the honey supers. Hope things get better for you.

Anyone know what is producing pollen now? 02/06/2017
    Is there a source for local pollen info that folks are going to now?

Most likely Red Maple and or dandelions possibly some camillias as well in that order. My red maples have been blooming for about 2 weeks now and my bees are all over them.

Most of my foragers are bringing in pollen. Red Maples just started blooming here. It's very early. My concern is that brood rearing will be heavy and the additional bees may run out of nectar/honey.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 17 years; TF for 12; Zone 7B

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast