Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

North Carolina

43K views 127 replies 54 participants last post by  leadchunker 
#1 ·
Tulip poplar starting to bloom here. April 16,2005. White Clover started blooming about a week ago.

#77 ·
Re: Post Your Bloom Dates - 2015

28748-Western Buncombe County North Carolina. In the mountains not in the river valley.
This week the Red Maple has been as good as I have ever seen it since I moved here in 2004. The blooms are profuse and started about a week ago.
Also I saw the first dandelion. Cherry started blooming this week as well as forsythia. Southern High Bush Blueberry will be blooming soon as well. In the woods, trout lilly are blooming. Also another small tree which I'm not familiar with started blooming this week. Many weeds are blooming currently. Willows are in full bloom. Lots of pollen going to the hive.

#84 ·
Brunswick County - Red maple

First noticed swelling buds about 2/5/16 - now fully open on some trees 2/17/16.

Most of the trees on my property are too tall for me to see the blooms close up, but I can see insects of some sort working it and my bees are bringing in a fair amount of pollen when it warms up during the day.

#88 ·
I am in Pender County, do you think you get honey from Red Bay? I always wondered about this plant/tree. I have tons near me but never noticed my bees working it.
Also wondering if you think the flow is about over? I don't see any more Tulip Poplar. I see some gallberry and scattered others but would love to see more.
Thanks

#90 ·
I came out of winter with low numbers so I didn't have enough bees for surplus honey. I've trapped or retrieved several swarms and am up to 22 hives but they won't give me honey either. I've got supers on but I'll be lucky to get 100 pounds.

#91 ·
Anybody in eastern NC seeing an end to the summer dearth? I'm see a teeny bit of aster, some Japanese Knotweed, titi has some blooms still, and of course the crape myrtles for pollen. Nothing else that is really noticeable. But my bees are bringing in nectar from somewhere. I know they were working the field peas, but they've about played out. Anybody seeing any goldenrod yet?

#94 ·
In the north central part of North Carolina on the Virginia state line. Smartweed in full bloom, golden rod here and there, seen bees working morning glorys, and oddly enough bees are working pigweed. Not sure if their getting pollen or nectar or both from the pigweed but sure is nice to see that plant serve a purpose for me for a change. Hard to keep it out of the pastures and choking out the grass.

#96 ·
I don't understand this last post? Are the hives full of honey because of the fall flowers/nectar or are they full going into fall as a matter of your management practices?
For sure there is no flow in SE coastal NC. I leave my shop door open for a little while and the bees are piling in like robbing maniacs.

#97 ·
Challengers were nice cars back in the day. I have had some wild rides with a 440 under the hood. Sorry to hear you are not having a flow in SE coastal N.C. I am in the north central part of N.C. right on the Virginia line and we have a monster nectar flow on. Smart weed galore. Golden rod on hand as well. I have seen the girls working morning glories and even the dreaded pigweed. As far as management I do not take any honey from my hives other than what is in the honey supers. Hope things get better for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.