North Carolina - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: North Carolina

Default Re: North Carolina

Getting the start of the red maple bloom here in Traphill now. My hives are starting to bring in the pollen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Red Maple bloom in full swing in Garner, NC. Noticed first bees working the red maple ~2-17-17. Bees bringing in tons of pollen given our weather in the 70s for ~9-10 straight thru this weekend! Very nice!

Sourwood starting in the valleys around Cullowhee. Nothing higher up, yet.
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Brunswick County

Warm weather has my bees working the red maple and dandelion blooms. They seem to be bringing in both pollen and nectar.

Red Maple has been blooming for about a week. Camilla and Dandelion are blooming as well. Girls are bringing in Red orange, green/gray pollen. 28401

Bees hitting maple, dandelion, and cherry trees (full bloom now) in Charlotte area. I had to add a super already? Others similar? This is only my second year, but I think I’m going to see a lot of honey if they already need supers. Experience of those with more years would help me. Is this similar to previous years or does it seem to be starting early?

PS,

What is optimal swarm season in Charlotte area of NC? I have some traps out and THINK itís about 3/15 to 5/15. Is this acurate?

Don't know optimal swarm season for Charlotte area (I'm in Belmont) but had my first swarm Saturday (could not capture ). Have seen swarms late May.

Bees are happy with the warm spell without rain in Pitt County. Both nectar and pollen coming in really strong. we need a couple of weeks without the rain and some 70 degree days. If your bees came thru winter with good numbers and a low mite load we might see a good crop this year. We don't need any hurricanes. Good luck and enjoy your bees. 2 swarms caught so far and I'll have at least 1 nuc going into winter to give me a spare queen.

8 February 2019

Raleigh NC, 27612

Winter jasmine has been blooming for a few weeks as has something else with very light yellow pollen.

Camellia has been in bloom for a week.

Spicebush, Crabapple, and red maple just started.

We have had a nice 70-80 degree F warm spell for the last few days, but this weekend it will be back in the 40's (with nights in the high 20's -mid 30's) with rain forecast for the early part of next week. I hope it doesn't wash out all the blooms.
    Last edited by Diptera; 02-08-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Red Maple, Camellia, Dandelion, Hen bit, Cedar trees, are blooming. Pear trees have large swollen buds on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Diptera View Post
    8 February 2019

Raleigh NC, 27612

Winter jasmine has been blooming for a few weeks as has something else with very light yellow pollen.

Camellia has been in bloom for a week.

Spicebush, Crabapple, and red maple just started.

We have had a nice 70-80 degree F warm spell for the last few days, but this weekend it will be back in the 40's (with nights in the high 20's -mid 30's) with rain forecast for the early part of next week. I hope it doesn't wash out all the blooms.
    14 February 2019
    Also Prunus mume - Japanese Flowering apricot. This is what I saw and mistook for Crabapple. A Botanist friend corrected me, but I cannot do 'strikethrough' in the crabapple of my previous post.

Piedmont North Carolina (Wake County, Granville County, Franklin County.).

Sourwood first bloom observed in late May the couple years I have been watching carefully, though most bloom during June. The latest I have seen them blooming here this year 2019 is early July (saplings on a roadside). We missed our June nectar flow this year (2019), even though I have seen the sourwoods bloom just as usual. I heard about sourwood skipping a year every now and then in the mountains, now I have actually witnessed it. The honey we get in the whole month of June is water white/crystal clear to light amber in colour. People do not know about sourwood being in the piedmont, but are actually a very common tree here, getting rarer near the coast of North Carolina from what I read in Vascular Flora of the Carolinas.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456