Missouri - Page 18
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Missouri

Default Re: Missouri

It is 53 degrees out, dark and cloudy, windy. Today is first pollen coming into the hives! Forcast shows rain for the next ten days. The pollen is coming nine days later then it did last spring. I am guessing it is from maple.
    First pollen, yeah.
    Zip 63091
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    It is 53 degrees out, dark and cloudy, windy. Today is first pollen coming into the hives! Forcast shows rain for the next ten days. The pollen is coming nine days later then it did last spring. I am guessing it is from maple.
    First pollen, yeah.
    Zip 63091
    Cheers
    gww
    Yep, going crazy this morning. Light yellow colored here. Not many maples around here that i know of though could be. Ozark witchhazel is possible.
    Last edited by cbay; 02-20-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Sunday was the 18th. Temps in high 60's and sunny. First day I noticed light yellow pollen coming in. Maple of some sort I assume. Today temps around 70 and sunny and the bees are still at it. Forecast is for rain the next 4 days.

Butler County
    Zip 63901

First flying day from the 20th. The bees are still on the chicken feed. They are checking out everything and every one that goes out side. Around the hives they are working the ground, I am guessing just searching or for water. It has rained and been too cool to fly till this 53 degree day. They are all active and some of them are bringing in dirty white pollen. Lots of baskets are not full at all though a few are packed pretty good. I am thinking this means the rain has made the pollen heavy or hard to find. Still it is exciting that finaly something is coming into the hive. Better, warmer and dryer day tomorrow. I am hopeing that by tomorrow, I will be able to walk under a few of the trees with buds and hear that loud buzzing sound that comes when you have thousands of bees working the buds.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Lots of activity today. Bringing in grey and light yellow pollen. Checked the sawmill to see if they were bringing in the sawdust and they weren't there.
    They are definitely ready for spring!

cbay
    Yea, thats what mine looked like but my hives are not as pretty or as insulated.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I'm waiting for that up here and I am a week or more behind you as in the past couple years. Looking forward to it, maybe Tuesday or next weekend. Thanks for the updates down south.

Posted in PA section, but showed up in MO section?

Found one lone dandelion trying to bloom yesterday.

Butler County. Zip Code 63901. SouthEast Mo.

Floydboy
    Last year my first dandilion was 3/2/2017 enough came up that I saw bees on them was 3/18/2017. So two weeks. I have not seen one yet and my first pollen was 5 days plus late but when the sun shines, it comes fast.
    Thanks for the report.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I saw a couple bees working on the witch hazel that's in bloom today. They're so small that there isn't enough pollen or nectar to amount to anything though.

I am just across the border from DanielD and today I saw bees bringing in white/grey pollen from maple trees. First pollen of the year.

Interesting, couesbro. I haven't had time to watch any today so I hope it's started here too. I did expect it by the weekend, maybe.

I can walk under my maples today and hear the bees working them. I still have a few stupid bees that are still working the chicken food though.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I finally caught a few bees bringing in dirty white, or very light yellow pollen today. It's above 50 but the wind is a bit harsh. Not a lot of flying going on.

Maples and elm were prime this week,(feb25-mar2) in the northern part of the county, earlier in the southern. Saw a patch of henbit blooming in the southern half feb 28.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

March 3rd Central Missouri Pettis County - beautiful day and bees were out foraging - I was walking along my creek and noticed quite a few flying several hundreds of yards from apiary - looked up and had a huge maple with white buds showing up on top.....went back to check hives and bees were packing in off whitish pollen in BIG time.......made me smile as this was the first day I really noticed them working and successfully bringing back material to the hives after winter....Sunday was quite a bit different though, colder and kind of damp with greatly reduced flying

hickory
    made me smile as this was the first day I really noticed them working and successfully bringing back material to the hives after winter...

gww
    zone 5b

Lots going on here in St. Charles County. Wondering if anyone is feeding syrup yet?

Arlo

Arlo
    I have sugar blocks on some of my hives but don't feed. I don't want them to starve but don't want them to build up too early either. Others on here know more then me and so I don't know if this helps. I don't see why you couldn't feed but if your hive still has quite a bit of stores, some new is coming in and it is going to get cold again for some small stretches yet and I am hoping they raise the right amount of brood with out me. Now is the time they will go through thier stores and so watching is probly good.
    Good luck
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast