Missouri - Page 25
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Missouri

Default Re: Missouri

Autumn olive was in bloom today, with bees on it. Supposedly this is a great nectar source for honey bees, but unfortunately it's also highly invasive. Anyone know how common these are in Missouri?

autumn_olive.jpg

autumn_olive_and_bee.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I don't remember seeing any but I might not recognize even if I saw one. Around here the closest thing I do recognize is bush honey suckle which is sorta the same size type bush. That and little redbuds just line my woods edge.

I talk to a inactive member on a chat that is more springfield way and he talks about them all the time.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    I don't remember seeing any but I might not recognize even if I saw one. Around here the closest thing I do recognize is bush honey suckle which is sorta the same size type bush. That and little redbuds just line my woods edge.

I talk to a inactive member on a chat that is more springfield way and he talks about them all the time.
    Cheers
    gww
    Interesting, the way all the Missouri official websites talk about autumn olive, you'd think it was everywhere (maybe it will be eventually?).

I spend a lot of time removing Asian bush honeysuckle. I completely eradicated it from my last property, but I've only made a dent so far at my current place. Getting a lot of it removed during our current lockdown though, so that's something. Luckily most of the smaller plants can just be pulled out of the ground. The big ones I can and paint the stump with Tordon.

bee authur
    fI just leave the honey suckle alone. I wish I could get rid of the vine stuff but if I got rid of the bush, there would be nothing left. I will say that my bees work the bush hard here.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Glenn, all we have here in VA is the vine variety that I am aware of. The flowers are too deep for the bees and they don't touch them. Other pollenators do though so I Ieave them alone.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I could hear the bees on one of these trees but could not see them. The bees work them hard every year though and I will see them. probably not today though due to low temp outside. I think they are just starting to work them.
    Pin oak?

Sweetgum

Cheers
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

I've definitely seen bees working oak trees for pollen this time of year. Having a hard time gauging their interest this year since it's been so dang cold lately. I'll keep an eye out for them though.

Hard to tell what type of oak without seeing the leaves. I look for "skinny" leaf lobes on pin oaks.

Saw a couple wild blackberry flowers earlier this week. Most of the buds are still closed up though, so they're really of no value to honey bees yet.

IMG_20200422_145646236-EFFECTS.jpg

Yesterday I had wild hyacinth flowering near my hives. I've seen bees on these in the past, but not yesterday.

IMG_20200424_141827671_HDR.jpg

White clover started blooming in good numbers here today.

I also had a bunch more of the wild hyacinth flowers bloom today, and the bees were all over them. There were usually multiple bees on each flower spike, so they apparently like the wild hyacinth.

IMG_20200426_133546537.jpg

Good to know.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

My rain gauge shows 4" inches of rain over the last week, but the skies cleared today and it was the first time this year I've seen the bees really working the white clover.

IMG_20200430_154248103.jpg

IMG_20200430_113403820.jpg

IMG_20200430_113342997.jpg

IMG_20200430_113107857.jpg

I don't have white clover yet.
    Cheers
    gww

The dandilions seem to be on the way out.
    zone 5b

I'm shocked you don't have clover yet. I did a highway litter cleanup yesterday and there was white and red clover blooming all over place. And the stuff here at my place is on strong.

Wild blackberries also started blooming in earnest here today.

I just today saw my first few little white clover bloom. I find 6 miles away that they can have dandelion in full bloom a week before it does on my 20 acres. I was actually going to post about the white clover tonight. My grandkids are here and that slows me down a bit. I do not have red clover bloom in my field yet.

The places like above that I mention bloom before me are in towns and I notice it when I go buy chicken food and such.

One kinda funny thing is like my road ditch. My side is north facing and my neighbor across the road is south facing. He has a bunch of those yellow blooms in his ditch where as my side has only one as far as I can see. This is pretty flat areas with only the way the ditch is facing making the difference. Actually my side close does have a stand of trees where his side is pasture also.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Yeah, I'm seeing just the first few white clover blooms this weekend. I've got a lot of it on my property, but the only plants blooming are all of them along my limestone gravel driveway. I don't know if it's a chemistry thing or more heat generated from sunlight reflecting off the gravel. My girls were sure working it though! We're in 63037, in Franklin County, Mo.
    I need to go back to work. This being retired is working me too hard!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCfffg View Post
    Yeah, I'm seeing just the first few white clover blooms this weekend. I've got a lot of it on my property, but the only plants blooming are all of them along my limestone gravel driveway. I don't know if it's a chemistry thing or more heat generated from sunlight reflecting off the gravel. My girls were sure working it though! We're in 63037, in Franklin County, Mo.
    My earliest clover blooms were along a tractor lane, so maybe they like the exhaust.

I don't have a pic of the ground right outside my fenced yard, but it's teaming with white clover (you can get an idea by looking in the background of the wax block picture). I've also had patches of crimson clover bloom in the last week or so (though the bees don't seem to use it when there's so much white clover nearby).

The last picture is a wayfaring tree--I had several of these bloom in my woods yesterday (3 May). I didn't see bees on them, but there's some mixed messaging online about whether or not honey bees use them.

clover_in_background.jpg

crimson.jpg

wayfaring_tree.jpg

I think I saw locust trees in bloom yesterday (6 May) while I was driving home from work. Anyone else seeing them?

I paid more attention as I drove home today, and I'm pretty sure those were locusts in bloom.

A tulip poplar I walk past every day bloomed since yesterday too.

Honey suckle bush.

The one plant I am pretty sure I won't run out of.
    Cheers
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

I mowed past my blackberry patch today, and the canes had flower buds all over them. They looked like they should open up in the next week or so.
    I need to go back to work. This being retired is working me too hard!

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast