treatment free member listing - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: treatment free member listing

Dont have bees yet but reading and gearing up to start in spring with 2 hives. Will be treatment and foundation free here in Huntsville AL.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Started my first two colonies this year from packages, prior to learning locally overwintered nucs would have been a better option. Regardless, I am TF on small cell, all medium size boxes. I am building nuc boxes now. Some will end up as swarm traps others will be used to bolster my apiary. Hopefully I will be requeening this summer with VSH queens and the plan is to move the current queens into nucs and see how they overwinter. Foundationless is in my future. I'm learning as much as I can as fast as I can. I love Michael Palmer's sustainable apiary practice and I'd like to emulate that as much as possible. I'd really like to learn how to rear my own queens next year to help me achieve that goal.

in roxboro, north carolina:

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lee View Post
    I'm treatment free 5 years running V.P. Queens. (Allegro) and I am working with captured swarms to develop my own stock. I also do splits to break the brood cycle. Usually the bees swarm and do that for me. I am currently regressing to 5.1 cell.
    (i hope you don't mind j.lee, i quoted you here for future reference)
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Treatment free since my start in 2010. Raise my own stock. No major losses. Still learning.
    Beekeeping 6 winters, 17 hives, TF

Gathering genetics to hopefully get treatment free in the near future. Have couple of queens from feral swarms, some Sam Comfort queens and their daughters, and three of Fusion_Power's queens for a good start.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Buffalo, Minnesota

The original plan: 2 treatment free, small cell hives of 8 frame mediums in my backyard.

The current reality: 1 hive in my backyard, with 1 8 frame deep & the rest mediums, because the frames from my nuc were deeps. These are regressing to small cell.

Hive 2 is five miles away, with 1 surviving hive of 10 frame boxes in deep, mediums and shallows, with three more 10 frame, unoccupied hive sets. I inherited these from my bee mentor when he died a month ago. His approach was heavy-handed use of treatments. One of those hives died, and the other is languishing.

The hope: grow queens and bees to colonize 5-6 hives so that losses can be sustained and treatment free maintained. Eventually everything will be small cell mediums.

TF for 3 years, west central Arkansas. No treatments whatsoever. I have obtained most of my stock from bait hives, local feral population. Mixed in are some BWeaver genetics and an Anarchy queen I have recently obtained through barter. I have yet to suffer a complete loss of a hive, have had to requeen once. Currently running 10 hives, TBH and Lang. Foundationless. My bees thrive. The main problem I am having is population control ☺. If anyone is interested in a queen, will barter straight across. Only serious inquiries from people who have the real deal, no treatments. All I ask for is possible feedback on performance, and I will give the same. I am trying to gauge how adaptable these bees are outside of my area. Thanks for taking the time to everyone who is posting, great stuff.

in southern missouri:

do a google search for 'HorizontalHive'.

to my knowledge dr. sharashkin is not a beesource member, but worthy of checking out if you happen to be looking for a resource in that part of the country.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Would be nice if someone could put these locations on a google map with sticky pins.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    in southern missouri:

do a google search for 'HorizontalHive'.

to my knowledge dr. sharashkin is not a beesource member, but worthy of checking out if you happen to be looking for a resource in that part of the country.
    Thank you.

Southeast KS. Started 4 years ago and now have 17 hives. No treatment, although I do feed when starting a split. Still trying to figure it all out.

Aubrey Henderson, 4 miles northwest of Double Springs Alabama. He will sell a few colonies and maybe a few queens.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    Would be nice if someone could put these locations on a google map with sticky pins.
    Shouldn't the map and list be just for those experienced keepers actively selling treatment free stock?
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 17 years; TF for 12; Zone 7B

Quote Originally Posted by heaflaw View Post
    Shouldn't the map and list be just for those experienced keepers actively selling treatment free stock?
    Colour-coded pins?

Mike (UK)
    The race isn't always to the swift, nor the fight to the strong, but that's the way to bet

I'm in southern Illinois, we have almost 75 hives
    Last edited by Southernilgal; 06-21-2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: I failed to add enough info

Tom Rinderer has pure Russian nucs in early spring in Baton Rouge Louisiana. These are from the USDA imported stock maintained at the bee lab.

Hello! I am new to beekeeping, first hive this year. I am located in Missouri and I have had a difficult time finding TF beekeepers near me. So far, I have been reading everything I can about TF beekeeping and hoping I am doing things right.

First year newbee. Started with one hive with an excellent queen. Just completing a cut-out without finding the queen. Both colonies are Italian. First hive came from a local old timer honey farmer. He's been a good mentor, but he does treat some. I will be looking for VSH queens soon.

Ed Age
    Joelton, TN just north of Nashville.

To bee, or not to bee, there is no question

If you goggle VSH queen suppliers you get a map of the USA with pins. Zoom in click a pin & there's your supplier. A map for those on the post here would be great.

To bee, or not to bee, there is no question.

Hive5Apiary in Tappahannock, Va. We've been treatment free from the start. We're on 4.9 mm foundation for starter hives and some foundationless. Queens/bees from other treatment free apiaries and feral swarms. So far, so good! I will be treating our hives for both tornado and hurricane prevention in the future! Last spring we lost nearly everything in a tornado, tie your stuff down tight! We're hoping to get the new store open for next spring!!!! We should have zone 7 small cell bees, some nucs and bee supplies, god willing!

Job 12:8 Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast