treatment free member listing - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Default Re: treatment free member listing

Just found this tread, and I am impressed with the experience and geographic representation in the TF arena.

As a previous poster mentioned, I am not sure I qualify as a TF beekeeper, but I am wrapping up my first year of treatment-free bee husbandry following a long absence post-varroa mite.

I started with two small-cell packages, caught two swarms and started two nucs. I know very little- but the one thing that this year taught me is that catching local swarms is the way to go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Just found this tread, and I am impressed with the experience and geographic representation in the TF arena.

As a previous poster mentioned, I am not sure I qualify as a TF beekeeper, but I am wrapping up my first year of treatment-free bee husbandry following a long absence post-varroa mite.

I started with two small-cell packages, caught two swarms and started two nucs. I know very little- but the one thing that this year taught me is that catching local swarms is the way to go.
    Keep in mind the local swarm quality largely depends on the location.
    In my locality the caught swarms are typically escaped commercial bees.
    Hard to expect from them to be long-term chem-free survivors.

As for me, I pretty quickly ditched that "feral swarm" trapping - no feral swarms here.
    I only chaise those swarms so to exploit them for different, useful things.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

GregV: Thank you for your helpful feedback. My limited perspective suggests that you are right concerning beekeeping being a lot like politics insofar that much of it is built upon local dynamics- what works in one environment may not translate to other areas. Again, thank you for the input and I sincerely hope that you and your family have a most joyous and blessed Christmas and prosperous New Year.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    GregV: Thank you for your helpful feedback. My limited perspective suggests that you are right concerning beekeeping being a lot like politics insofar that much of it is built upon local dynamics- what works in one environment may not translate to other areas. Again, thank you for the input and I sincerely hope that you and your family have a most joyous and blessed Christmas and prosperous New Year.
    Good wishes to you as well, Litsinger!
    Keep plugging at it.

One more suggestion and I will be done - do scout out fellow keepers with feral/mite resistant queens for sale (or exchange or even for free taking).
    Then get few and try them out.
    For my heavily commercialized location, this seems to be a way forward - bringing good genetics from the outside sources and getting the ball rolling that way. I am optimistic.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Thank you, GregV. Good advice. I do appreciate your input. Part of my rationale for posting to this thread is to hopefully network with other TF beeks in my area to hopefully do just as you suggest. I do appreciate the help and encouragement.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910