ferrel bees, to treat or not to treat - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ferrel bees, to treat or not to treat

Quote Originally Posted by stixin2016 View Post
    i will treat all my bees feral or not!
    Why? By the way, better not let your wife read that If your goal is to be treatment free, then don't treat. Why work backwards? Particularly on the possible genetics as Riverderwent pointed out. Especially, if you get bees that have not been managed for any seasons
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I don't understand....if bees are so helpless without human intervention - how can they survive on their own so long without chemicals, hive manipulation, sugar water, etc., etc., etc.? It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm curious, did any of these "removed" bees have varroa on them? If not - how did they manage to stay varroa free? If they did have varroa, how did they manage to co-exist with them?

When I hear stories like this, I can't help but believe we haven't yet figured out what bees really need.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That was an interesting post Flowerplanter because it shows that a person can transition from a treated hive to non treatment, ie, treatment residue in the comb will not necessarily mess things up.

Couple questions, what kind of treatment/s did you use and how many times, and what cell size are you?

Cheers
    Just saw your post,

Started treating with EO's for about 6+ months which does nothing for mites (didn't know that at the time) and resulted in a low mite drop. I tried OAV a few times, and still had a low mite drop even in the late summer. So I just monitored my SBB after that. Now I don't monitor anymore, I do take a quick look at the SBB twice a year when I clean the debris.

I don't believe treatments of EOs and OAV damaged my comb. However did notice that EOs damage bee's flora and caused a bad case of EFB (proven in a studies to increase AFB). Still see EFB in the spring but fewer case each year, breeding queens from my EFB free hives and replacing queens seems to be working.

Plastic small cell from the beginning, now lots of foundationless mixed in.
    Last edited by FlowerPlanter; 02-08-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks, one thing about those type treatments is they are non residual, no permanent residue so at least there won't be a nasties residing in your wax.

A study I read found it can take many years for bioflora to return to a completely natural configuration after an antibiotic treatment. But they do eventually return, so hopefully from here it will be all good for you, and getting better.

I have heard that EFB in the US is getting more virulent. Any issues for you, or you just let it pass?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12