Alternatives for securing the metal top to a telescoping cover

Default Alternatives for securing the metal top to a telescoping cover

I am building some telescoping covers. They are traditional metal on top of a wooden framework with plywood rabbeted inside the framework type. I plan to use galvanized staples through the sides of the cover and am not sure if this idea is better.

A woodworker, but not a beekeeper, suggested I use an adhesive, such as liquid nails, construction adhesive or other type of "glue" for metal/wood surfaces, instead of penetrating metal fasteners, such as staples, screws and nails, to hold the metal top onto the telescoping cover wood. This would be an adhesive on the top side of the plywood and bottom side of the metal. It would be away from the bees provided it doesn't leach through the wood. It would be applied as a solid perimeter around the top of the framework and maybe an "X" or so shape through the middle of the plywood. The adhesive would also make a complete seal around the perimeter which would block ants or other insects from nesting between the metal and wood (a minor nuisance I've occasionally had).

He said the advantages would be that it would (1) hold the top solidly onto the framework, (2) result in no piercings of the metal making the whole piece less vulnerable to moisture and rot, (3) would last "forever" because the adhesive is protected from the weather; or at least longer than metal fasteners that might fail themselves or that the metal immediately around the fasteners might fail. I did discuss with him the hot/cold temperature fluctuations telescoping covers experience.

Is this a good idea? If so, are there any recommendations for an adhesive?

thanks, Jim.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Alternatives for securing the metal top to a telescoping cover

Under the heat/cold cycle I know the liquid nails product will eventually fail. There may be other similar products that won't, I don't know which though.

Consider this though, barring complete erosion of the zinc coating and rusting out of the metal with all things being equal the metal has a minimum expected service life at least three times longer than the wood. And that's from just wear and tear from handling not even taking rot into consideration. The metal is probably the longest lived and most reusable part of the standard equipment we use. Why glue it down to an expendable part?
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc

I've moved to using the hex head screws that were used on the metal roof of my house.
    They have a rubber and metal washer built in so that really helps eliminated the water penetration.
    Once again, I had 'um so I use 'um.

Warrior,

Thank you for the tip on liquid nails.

The reasons for the conversation that led to the alternative adhesive suggestion were that I needed to buy a new staple gun and some telescoping covers I bought from a supplier a few years ago were failing because their staples were coming out. I assume the supplier used a staple too short or one not intended for exterior use. I used screws to replace the failed staples, but that was time consuming and nowhere as easy as just firing in a few staples.

I hadn't thought about the relative longevity of the other cover components. You make a good point about the wood rotting first. I haven't had any telescoping covers rot yet where I would want to replace the wood and reuse the old metal. I've only had my own hives for a few years.

Jim.

Just shoot the staples in the edge and put 100 percent silicon on the staples or gutter seal which would be close to same as galvanized.

I now use stainless staples in a classic style stapler like the Arrow T-50 or an electric stapler that uses the same kind of staples. Eighteen gauge staples hold galvanized steel sheeting poorly and aluminum worse. They tend to pull out of the wood and tear through the metal.
    David Matlock

"Ditto" with Kathleen on the hex head screws

you're just nailing through the metal on the sides right? shouldn't need more then about ten on the whole top. titebond 3 and staples on the wood will keep them together a long time.

All the methods will work and we're pretty deep into a nuance here. Do what's convenient and easy, use the hardware you have, especially if you're building a bunch of them. Personally I'd use self drilling hex head screws, either the painted gutter screws or the zinc plated ductwork screws. I don't have any with the rubber washers (for roofing) and I wouldn't worry about it, but if I had them I'd use them first.

I use galvanized phillips drive pan head screws now, about 3/4" long, they won't ever come out on their own and you can easily replace the wood of the cover if you ever need to and reuse the metal again. I have tried liquid nails as someone else commented on, and had the same result of the adhesive failing eventually with the temp cycles. Nails will sometimes back out a little, staples will sometime pull through the metal or loosen, so the screws are my choice now and are working very well so far.