Its 50 out and bees are everywhere. ...

Default Its 50 out and bees are everywhere. ...

Boy o boy i woke up today to a beautiful day. No wind sunny and 50 deg out. I go outside to look at the hives and bees are everywhere. All over the ground in the pine trees going to the buds. The finches are taking a occasional bee. I just havent see this many bees since late summer early fall. They are bringing out alot of dead. I guess spring cleaning. I decided to put a spoonful of ground pollen on the hive covers. Once they found it they cleaned it up and took all of it. I made a qt of suryp and they are slow to take it but they are. I guess they are enjoying the nice day by doing chores. Hopefully spring is right around the corner. Anyone else having nice bee weather??
    Last edited by Billboard; 01-30-2016 at 01:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Its 50 out and bees are everywhere. ...

Not quite 50 here. Seen one bee come and stand at entrance in the sun while I stood watching for awhile. No other activity though. Wanted to check on them but breezy here to suppose to be warmer tomorrow. Hopefully more out then if not almost 60 on Tuesday. At least their alive!!!

Very mild winter here in the northeast. We're forecasted for 40s to 50 for the next several days. I see signs of bees peering out the top entrances on all the hives except my 2 small deadouts, so that's good. I'm thinking of putting pollen patties in there early this year unless it gets colder again, which it well might. February can be a wild card. By mid-late February anyway I'll put a pollen patty in.
    Last edited by NewbeeInNH; 01-30-2016 at 02:21 PM.

In the 30s in central Wisconsin weather report said it's going to drop to single digits by next week. Boy I can hardly wait till spring

It's an excruciating wait all winter. Do you think they love seeing us as much as we love seeing them? They probably sit out there in those boxes all winter and count the days until we open up their boxes and rearrange their homes.

All but one of my hives are out in force, the I opened the top on the one that had no activity and there were a bunch of bees up eating their candy Weird thing is that is the only standard 8 frame hive I have a quilt box on, could just be a coinicidence
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    It's an excruciating wait all winter. Do you think they love seeing us as much as we love seeing them? They probably sit out there in those boxes all winter and count the days until we open up their boxes and rearrange their homes.
    Not so sure they like seeing us but the survivors are going to be worshiped by me

My only hive was active and bringing in small bags of pollen thats kinda gray in color. not sure where they are getting it. I did my first OAV treatment today after seeing signs of mites. Found mites on weak bees outside the hive crawling with the dead ones. Seems my girls are cleaning house and kicking out the dead and the weak. I started the winter with 2 hives and lost one. Will be extremely happy to see Spring.

I don't know whos hive they are but my chicken feeder with the cracked corn is getting mobbed today and the bees are everywhere. They are checking the inside of my garage. Landing on me and in my hair when I sit on the back patio. The maples in my yard are budding and the easter lillies are breaking out of the ground.
    Cheers
    gww
    Last edited by gww; 01-30-2016 at 06:45 PM.

gww, Lauri uses that as a sign it's time to put in a pollen patty, if you feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    Boy o boy i woke up today to a beautiful day. No wind sunny and 50 deg out. I go outside to look at the hives and bees are everywhere. All over the ground in the pine trees going to the buds. The finches are taking a occasional bee. I just havent see this many bees since late summer early fall. They are bringing out alot of dead. I guess spring cleaning. I decided to put a spoonful of ground pollen on the hive covers. Once they found it they cleaned it up and took all of it. I made a qt of suryp and they are slow to take it but they are. I guess they are enjoying the nice day by doing chores. Hopefully spring is right around the corner. Anyone else having nice bee weather??
    It was mid 50's here today. A little bit of snow still on the ground. The bees are bringing in a light yellow pollen. Not sure where they are getting it from but one hive is bringing in plenty like usual, another bringing in some and the other three don't know it is out there apparently.

newbee.....
    gww, Lauri uses that as a sign it's time to put in a pollen patty, if you feed.
    Aint got bees yet but do have alot of equiptment built. Hope to have something left this time next year so I can worry about things like that. I am living through you guys right now.
    Thanks
    gww

We topped out at 58 one day with over a week of chinook and bee cleansing. CHINOOK meant "snow eater" and ours is gone on the prairie. Lots of snow in the mountains.

I saw dead bees being pushed out earlier in the week as soon as the daytime temp and sun warmed the hives up at bit. Always a good sign! Today they were all out doing orientation flights and cleansing flights. Didn't see any pollen going in, but maybe tomorrow or Monday, it will be warm enough and I suspect the maples are blooming.

More cold weather on the way for a week or so, then 40s and 50s through to March, so it's time to make sure they don't run low on stores and starve. Will check hive weights tomorrow (was busy to day) and prepare to add more sugar if they have eaten most of it. Some hives at least have consumed the protein patty I put on in the late fall, may need another one.

So far so good, but it's still January.....

Peter

It was 65 here today in West KY according to the National Weather Service. Lots of cleansing flights, housekeeping and even a robbing in a dead out.

No pollen coming in yet, looked closely at the maples in my yard and fencerow, they are swelling but not blooming yet, should have some henbit blooming but have not seen any yet. Rain tomorrow and heat to continue thru middle of next week should make things pop.

Bees were covering sugar bricks and taking pollen from patties. I didn't look to see what the brood situation was just hate to disturb them anymore than necessary with the uncertainty of weather first of Feb. I'm inclined to start feeding 1:1 syrup to kick them into expanded production but we can still have some bad weather from a winter standpoint between now and end of February. Anybody in my area feeding syrup yet?