240 Hives stolen, Colusa Ca.

Default 240 Hives stolen, Colusa Ca.

(( from a FB share))
    240 hives similar to those in the photo have been stolen earlier this week. They were near Colusa at the time of the theft and could now be anywhere in California. All of the equipment is marked with the brand # 42-14. The owners are asking that if you see these hives contact the Sheriff and/or the owners @ 530-891-5216. Please share
    Roger Everett's photo.
    Roger Everett - 240 hives similar to those in the photo have been....jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 240 Hives stolen, Colusa Ca.

Not too far from me. How awful. I am seeing the semis with hives going to the valley for the almond bloom.
    On my 5th year with bees, 2 hives.

Man O man I hate to hear that. What is the world coming to?

First off how does one steal 240 hives and get away???

Wow. That's low.

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    First off how does one steal 240 hives and get away???
    Right!!?? That is CRAZY.....jerks.
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

A forklift, a flatbed truck and about a half an hour gets someone about 50 grand worth of bees. Once your off the property you are just another truck load of bees. To put it in perspective total hive placements would calculate out to probably 6 and 8 thousand truckloads that size.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I hope one had a Lo-Jack in it!

Headline in the Sacramento Bee newspaper: Beejacker Found Dead in Orchard...A beejacker who stole 240 beehives in Georgia was handcuffed naked to an almond tree and died of 100,000 bee stings....

Maybe it's time to think of locator devices (GPS?) in a few of the hives, or setting up a game camera out of sight. Can't trust leaving the hives without protection anymore.

Perfect! Deduct them as a business expense. I'd hide them in random hives.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Maybe it's time to think of locator devices (GPS?) in a few of the hives, or setting up a game camera out of sight. Can't trust leaving the hives without protection anymore.
    Yup, I'm looking into that myself. Losing an apiary (or more) is way too much of a setback, it isn't just about the value of the bees themselves. Seems worth it to put some anti-theft measures.
    www.apisrustica.com Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens
    www.facebook.com/Apis.rustica

is anyone EVER caught doing this?????
    i have read alot of stories of people being robbed and not one story i can recall of some one being caught
    game camera on road in sounds like a good use for my cameras when not using them for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeejohn View Post
    is anyone EVER caught doing this?????
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...d-in-Weedpatch

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...le2591671.html

So here is a case where they didn't take the hives, just the contents? My hive vandalism detector is looking better all the time.

Where are the majority of hives begging stolen? Holding yards or at the orchards?

How many orchards are fenced off? How many entrance and exit points are there? Seems like the orchards and keepers need to go in halves on paying for security patrols, checkpoints and aerial monitoring.

If I was down on the almonds I'd be there full time patrolling my hives.

Quote Originally Posted by hex0rz View Post
    If I was down on the almonds I'd be there full time patrolling my hives.
    Would you?
    24 hours daily?
    So you have 8400 hives in several orchards.
    Can you be in all locations at once?
    Do you ever sleep?
    Where do you go to eat?
    What if you only have 100 hives in almonds?
    Are you going to set on top of them for 5 weeks?
    Don't say what YOU WOULD DO until you have done it is my advice.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

..did I hit a soft spot?

Are you taking offense to this and construing this as me blaming the owner for his hives being stolen?

If I have thousands of hives like you hypothetically speak of, I'm going to be paying someone else to help patrol.

In all reality, sounds like the orchards could improve on securing their land better and creating bottlenecks to minimize theft potential.

Also, if I have enough hives to run one truck of bees, what else am I going to do with the rest of my time? It means my livelihood is pollinating in the orchard I might as well camp out there protecting it when I may have nothing else to do...

More info on the Colusa theft. Sounds like the detectives have a tire print impression of the loader.
    http://westernfarmpress.com/tree-nut...-begins?page=1

The press release states a HummerBee was the loader. The total number of HummerBee in California is very small. The dealers would be able to work with detectives to develop a suspect list. A HummerBee on a trailer is a unique item and Hwy 99 and Hwy 5 traffic cameras would capture the gang on its travels.

BEE THEFT ALERTKoehnen & Sons had 240 hives stolen in Colusa County this week. All boxes, lids, frames and pallets are branded with 42-14. There are pictures of the hives attached. The hives were stolen either Monday or Tuesday night of this week. Please take a very careful look at the pictures and if you see hives that fit the description, don’t hesitate to check for brand numbers and call the Sheriff’s department and Koehnen’s office to alert them. Koehnen’s can be reached at 530-891-5216. You can also feel free to email me at [email protected] or [email protected] and we can pass along the information for you.These hives could easily be anywhere in California. It is very likely that the hives will be destroyed after pollination season to cover up the crime. In the interest of both justice and saving the bees, it is critical we all do our part to locate these hives.Description: All the hives are 10-frame double deeps. The boxes are branded on the top cleats. The pallets have metal on the corners. Some of the feed cans and boxes were taken as well. The feed cans are painted green and slightly rusty. The feed can boxes are branded too and most of them hold 8 cans (some may hold 4). The bees are Italian and have Cordovan genetics (most will appear light colored and/or slightly reddish).Location: The hives were taken from 2 yards, both located north of Colusa on the east side of the river. One yard was about 2 miles from the river and the other about 3 miles from the river.Thief Description: Based on the tracks, it looks like a Hummerbee forklift may have been used to move the hives. The trucks appear to have dual tires. It is suspected that either 2 big trucks or 3 smaller trucks were used to move the hives.Please share this information with your club, almond grower and in your community.
    Last edited by JWChesnut; 02-02-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Shoot, I think I know where those bees were, we planted a trial at one of them where the farmer lets them stage the bees. Also, heard another 250 near Yuba City got jacked yesterday.