BeeCam suggestions for 2016?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BeeCam suggestions for 2016?

There hasn't been a bee camera discussion in awhile, and technology moves quickly!

I'm looking suggestions for a camera I can mount just outside the entrance.

Power-over-Ethernet is a requirement, as is good image quality.

I will probably mount it on a wrought iron fence that's 6" from the hive entrance.

Links to live cameras would be even better!
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: BeeCam suggestions for 2016?

Sounds like a neat idea, wonder if there is someway to build an enclosure for an old cellphone with wifi and put a solar panel on it in the beeyard. Sounds like a fun project to research and build.

Tim

Heh. I'm not into building anything right now. I just want to buy something good

When we had some emergency security needs a while back we used a bunch of Foscams. POE, which made for quick installations. VERY ready for outdoor and night use. Lots of features like motion detection, etc. we were very pleased and they are now part of our emergency response kits for when we have to make do in less than ideal circumstances. I think the prices were south of $100.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

How were the Foscam units for close-up focusing?

They could read the lettering on an ATM machine. Past that.....not sure.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

my brother in law got this IP camera for his parrot room. It takes some nice HD pictures that he watched on his smart phone. Can pan and zoom the camera from his phone. Pretty neat. Thinking about getting one for my bees, but I don't think it's waterproof.

http://www.amazon.com/Wansview-Wirel.../dp/B012FFKDYA

I am also looking for this. I just emailed Microseven and asked for their suggestions. Also going to email Lorex and see what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    They could read the lettering on an ATM machine. Past that.....not sure.
    But image quality isn't the same thing as minimum focus distance.

Take a look at Arlo by Netgear. Wireless, battery powered.

I've got Flir POE 1080p cameras on the house. They don't focus close enough, but there may be a way around that.

I'm working on a project for a friend involving a wireless security camera that we need to focus close. I routinely use "close up filters" on my DSLR and camcorder to allow the cameras to come in close on bees and flowers> Some time this week I expect to try the wireless camera out with these held in front. If it works I might end up getting a set for that camera and mounting them over the lens (I expect glue will be involved).

I've seen some small cameras intended for use as "microscopes" that might do the job, but I have microscopes so I've never tried those.

The problem with IP cameras is although they have great details they don't upload quick enough to keep up. In other words you'll see bees but probably not actually flying. IP is the cheapest as you can get a camera with internal recording if you like and the only thing to do is wire it to your network. Wireless ones imo are not great unless a room away from the signal. I have a hikavision and a dhaua and a bunch of others for home security but i'm not sure how great they would be close up. ten feet away and it will be great.

I don't really care about frame rate or latency; I just want to see the bees in high quality. 1 FPS would be fine, as long as I can see them and tell whether they're carrying pollen or nectar.

Yes, I am avoiding wireless. Since I need to run power anyway (not a fan of battery-powered cameras for this type of application), I may as well use power-over-Ethernet.

I actually got a response from Microseven. They suggested the M7B77 camera.

I have one of these pointed at the hive about one foot away...

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-chann...ras-62368.html

The resolution isn't great, but I can see pollen. I took the mic from a pair of ear buds, put it inside the hive and tapped into where the original mic was so I can hear whats going on in there.

vlcsnap-2016-02-02-16h52m46s189.jpg
    Last edited by ljbee; 02-02-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added pic

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWaterbug View Post
    Heh. I'm not into building anything right now. I just want to buy something good
    It looks like no one makes exactly what I want, for a price I'm willing to pay, so I'm going to retract my statement.

I happened to have a Raspberry Pi computer sitting around (Version 2, Model B), $36 from amazon, so I just ordered a little camera module with a CS lens mount for another $30.

It comes with a f/1.4, 4mm lens, but the CS mount means I can swap out the lens if I want more or less field of view.

I also bought a $5.69 power-over-Ethernet injector/splitter pair and a $4.00 2.1mm to micro-USB adapter cable, so I can power the RPi over Ethernet and run a single cable.

I have power supplies lying around, so I shouldn't have to spend any money on those. Now I just have to put it all together and enclose it. There are a few interesting ideas out there for that, including a halogen light fixture assembly and a fake security camera assembly.

That's a tiny little 5 MP sensor, so I will probably be limited more by the lens than by the sensor, but we'll see when it all arrives this weekend.

Keep us posted. I'd love to see what the images of the bees look like.
    Zone 8b, 2 hives started April 25th, 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWaterbug View Post
    It looks like no one makes exactly what I want, for a price I'm willing to pay, so I'm going to retract my statement.

I happened to have a Raspberry Pi computer sitting around (Version 2, Model B), $36 from amazon, so I just ordered a little camera module with a CS lens mount for another $30.

It comes with a f/1.4, 4mm lens, but the CS mount means I can swap out the lens if I want more or less field of view.

I also bought a $5.69 power-over-Ethernet injector/splitter pair and a $4.00 2.1mm to micro-USB adapter cable, so I can power the RPi over Ethernet and run a single cable.

I have power supplies lying around, so I shouldn't have to spend any money on those. Now I just have to put it all together and enclose it. There are a few interesting ideas out there for that, including a halogen light fixture assembly and a fake security camera assembly.

That's a tiny little 5 MP sensor, so I will probably be limited more by the lens than by the sensor, but we'll see when it all arrives this weekend.

I have a Raspberry Pi B+ with the camera too. I haven't got it all put together on the hive yet, but the picture is great 720 HD. Way better than security cams.

I have solar panels & battery out there already right now so I'm going to try and stream it to the house by wifi.

I have been working on some wireless telemetry for my bees, with arduino uno and was thinking about the raspberry pi's, but I'll bet you could hack an old smart phone with 8mp camera and wifi it to a router with some expert hacking....Im not at that level yet but the posibilities are endless.....I've just overcome digital and analog functions for remote temp/humidity monitoring and will now work on the wireless part (esp8266) and hook it up to my router for access anywhere on the internet......small steps

==McBee7==

I think an OSD (on screen display) showing the temp, humidity, time, date, weight and any other pertinent info would be nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast