Best Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Best Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

I have been checking out some of the oxalic acid vaporizers. One is "The Super Oxalic Acid Vaporizer" $79.99 as advertised on EBay. Its made in the USA and appears to be pretty heavy duty. Just wondering if anyone has used this machine or any other recommendations.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

"Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

The volume of the pan is perhaps a bit on the small side. When bubbling and frothing during the water boil off stage the contents are prone to overflowing. This appears to be more of a problem when your OA jar has experienced a bit of moisture pick up. Whatever overflows effectively is lost and your treatement dose is affectively reduced.
    Frank

There are a lot of vaporizers on the market today. I've used the Heilyser JB200 and the the Varrox Vaporizer, which I use currently. The manufacturers have been around a long time and the units both function equally as well. If you don't mind spending a little more money, the Varrox seems to be a more durable and solid vaporizer. If you just have a few hives the Heilyser should give you many years of good service if you use it with care.

There are others advertised which probably are well made and function properly, but I have not tried them out and not able to vouch for them.
    To everything there is a season....

That one looks no better than my homemade unit.. that's sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I'm suspicious of the longevity of glow plugs because they aren't intended to be on for more than a few seconds at a time.

I bought the Varrox and am very impressed with how well it's made and how well it functions. The price difference is really nothing.

Larryh as a good point Although Vehicles use glow plugs to warm fuel within the combustion chamber of diesel engines, they do not stay on that long. Many use resistors to lower the actual voltage applied to the glow plug, the full 12V shortens their life significantly.

The heating coil of the Vorrox vaporizer was designed for that not another application.

And I've done hundreds of treatments using the Heilyser unit (glow plug heated)...without any problems.
    Whichever you choose....I'd buy from an established producer.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    Looks like a nice solid design to me.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

The Heilyser design has the glow plug body mounted on a heat sink and only the hot tip in contact with the heating pan. Also its handle is not attached to the heating pan thus creating a heat loss as in the one linked to. The work around for these two design shortfalls would add some to the cost no doubt.

Many of the so called 12V glow plugs are rated at 11.4 volts or something in that area. They are not all the same. As tenbears mentions, many, in their designed application have computer control of current draw and dont see a full 12 volts or more of continuous load.

Most of the ones that are tried and proven and have a reputation to uphold will be using a glow plug or resistance heater that will last. Some people have home made units that maybe by luck selected a plug that will last on an OA design but not everyone got lucky the first shot.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Some people have home made units that maybe by luck selected a plug that will last on an OA design but not everyone got lucky the first shot.
    I went through 5 or 6 before I gave up.
    ..My bees were dying and here I was, the ding-a-ling, driving back and forth to the auto parts store 45 minutes away.

Those that have a proven plug # should make a thread so others can find it...by proven, I mean 50+ treatments. That's my number and I'm sticking to it

OX VAP.jpg

Here is one I designed that does work but has at least three major flaws. It is to tall to fit many entrances; the bowl overflows sometimes with a full charge or if you want to go a bit higher for triple deeps; the handle is fastened to bowl so is a heat robber; the bodies of the plugs are in the heated bowl and there are some signs of heat deforming of insulation between core and body of the glow plugs. There is no set screw to make firm mechanical contact between the heating tips and the bowl they are intended to heat.

Yes you can say that it is a nice solid looking design but it has warts!
    Frank

The Heilyser and VarroVap are fine glow plug based vaps. The Varrox however can be dipped in water between uses to cool it down where the others cannot (if that matters to you)......
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Varrox hands down the best.

Love my Varrox. Simple, durable utilitarian design, complete burn, can put in water. An excellent device.

I have two of the Varrox units and they perform with no problems. Like Larry said they can be dipped in water to cool them down between treatments.

I have the Varrox as well and it is a solid unit that should give years of reliable performance.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    And I've done hundreds of treatments using the Heilyser unit (glow plug heated)...without any problems.
    Whichever you choose....I'd buy from an established producer.
    Me too... I have 4 of them

I dip my Heilysers in a 5 gal bucket after each use. I am just careful not to get the glow plug wet. They cool off quickly that way and I can fill one while the other is vaporizing the hive.

I have a Heilyser and a Varrox. The Varrox is the main one I use. It creates more visible OAV "fog" than the Heilyser does. More solidly built. One thing to note - the bottom of it gets extremely hot so if it's resting directly on wood (like a solid bottom board) it will burn pretty bad rings in it. Heilyser is a good unit too. I would invest in one of these two, they're both well respected and have a history of being pretty reliable. I bought my Dad a cheap-ish one (about $50) on eBay and it's not in the same league. It takes far too long to heat up. It's a "you get what you pay for" deal.

Don't forget to invest in a protective mask as well, around $30-$40.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

I have Heilyser, VarroVap, and two Varrox. The Varrox, cost more and are hands down the best. Easily worth the extra money. I've got two so they I can be working the next hive while the first is cooking or cooling.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast