Help lot of dead bees

Default Help lot of dead bees

We got 2 ft of snow last night so I went over to clears out the front of the hive and found a few dead bees at the entrance no more than normal so I went back this after noon just to check on things and found dead bees all over the ground outside the hive , started looking around there were bees all over on top of the snow 15 , 30 ft outside of the hive , any idea what they were doing , we lost 2 hives earlier this winter to mites , are fault new beekeeper mistake this last hive was doing so good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Help lot of dead bees

It may be normal. After being closed up for a few days...normal attrition continues and once the entrance is cleared the undertakers remove them. If they have plenty of stores...there's not much else you can do this time of year....so be patient. Spring is around the corner.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Sounds like it's warm enough for cleansing flights so they are cleansing.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Yep. Likely just taking out the trash. I actually look forward to seeing some dead bees in the snow. Means they're still alive, and feeling well enough to try to remove the dead bees that can accumulate inside.

Similar for me this morning. I was going to take a few photos of the hives after our 2' of snow yesterday. Snow stopped around midnight. Temp was about 17 when I checked them this morning and saw about 30 dead bees on top of the snow within 6' of the hive. I was surprised that they ventured out at that temperature.

Noticed the same here, except the mortuary bees were hitting the snow face first and not able to get up. Only had one hive doing this. I ended up putting down a stripped sheet so the bees knew which way the sky was. It will also help the mortuary bees have a chance to get back up into the hive before they freeze. Had no chance once they landed in the snow.

Pick some up, and take them to a warm place, if they become active again, it's just bees thought they could get out and fly but it was really too cold for them to come out and they reached a temperature where they became unable to return to the hive.

I have read where bees can get confused as to which way is up when cleansing flights over bright snow. They will dive bomb into the snow as if it was the way up to the sun, then they freeze. I don't think they have a sense of gravity, instead they depend on the sun to tell which way is up and to get and give directions. Bright snow, they can't tell where is the sun, so lose their way.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Sounds like a healthy hive. Think of Money Piton's Bring out your Dead Skit.

Quote Originally Posted by Munson View Post
    Sounds like a healthy hive. Think of Money Piton's Bring out your Dead Skit.
    I'm feeling betta!