Quick Deep Divider to Make 2 Nucs - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Quick Deep Divider to Make 2 Nucs

What material other than wood could be used to fatten up plastic frames to be used for dividers?
    Pool cover foam? Those green woven pot scrubbers? Insulation tape? Plexiglass?
    Last edited by odfrank; 01-27-2016 at 07:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

http://www.zoro.com/scotch-brite-sco...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Scotch Brite pads are 1/4" thick, just what is need for a cushioned material to expand a plastic frame into a divider. they are made of Polyester/Polyimide. Do we think bees would eat though that?

I had a request for some pic's of my plastic frame dividers. I came up with the idea last summer while contemplating Palmer style nucs. I had a "few" extra plastic frames and figured I'd see what I could do to maximize the space in a standard box. Replacing the divider board with a shimmed solid plastic frame just seemed to make sense. A full wood shop gave me an advantage, but the final product could probably be duplicated well enough with paint sticks and a hand saw.

I used a wood strip across the top & down the ends of a frame.

image(1).jpeg

It's placed in the middle, in place of a divider board. A "half frame" ( see below), placed along the outside edge, results in 2 full five frame units fitting into a standard (bottom) box. A 3/4" strip of wood is place down the middle of the bottom board to "finish off" the division.

image(4).jpeg

The 4.5 frame boxes fit flush on top. The inside divider is 3/8" thick, so two are 3/4", fitting nicely on top of the divider frame. The divider boards "steal" a frame of space in upper "split" boxes, but two halves give a little back. 4.5 vs just 4 frames.

image(6).jpeg

A "half frame" - with top, end & bottom shaved off down to the "foundation" on one side, goes against the outside in the bottom box. The trimmed side goes against the wood in whichever box. With this outside half frame, and the middle divider frame, the divided bottom box offers 5 full frames of comb on either side.

image(7).jpeg

The half frame goes against the "shared wall" of the two upper half boxes. It all ends up as a standard size 4.5 over 5 nuc, with no "wasted space" - 9.5 frames of comb, fitting in a standard dimension double nuc, vs just 8.

image(6).jpeg

I made up some of these last summer. The bees built out all available comb space, and packed it full of brood & honey on both sides & top to bottom. My bees have been drawing these out, wall to wall, including the half frames, which led to another idea. Now that using the half frames Palmer style nuc is functioning, I'm working on a simple half frame "breeder queen frame" based on the Hopkins approach. I'll take more pics as that progresses.
    Last edited by Colobee; 02-08-2016 at 11:07 PM.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12