Let's see your snowpiaries!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Let's see your snowpiaries!

Pretty much buried here and it's still snowing!

4th Yr. 8 hives. Italian/Carniolan apiary. 3 loss over 4 yr. W.NC location.
    https://instagram.com/jacquelinehinshaw/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Let's see your snowpiaries!

I'm in Lebanon. We've only got about 5".

Quote Originally Posted by AWB View Post
    I'm in Lebanon. We've only got about 5".
    Not bad though! Still snowing here but we're around 18-20" so far!

Not all that much snow this year: https://www.facebook.com/Apis.rustic...type=3&theater
    www.apisrustica.com Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens
    www.facebook.com/Apis.rustica

Mid to upper 50's today. All 21 of 21 still flying. Even the 5 over 5 ( mediums) are doing well ( the white boxes). We don't usually have this much snow on the ground all winter.
    image (2).jpeg

More snow is forecast for tomorrow - just in time for the big game. At least we aren't in Foxborough!
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Mine are buried, we got 30" of snow, and still going. Should I be concerned? should I be shoveling snow around them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Mine are buried, we got 30" of snow, and still going. Should I be concerned? should I be shoveling snow around them?
    I'd like to hear Michael Palmer's reply to this. He deals with way more hives than us in the snow.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

Quote Originally Posted by Colobee View Post
    Mid to upper 50's today. All 21 of 21 still flying. Even the 5 over 5 ( mediums) are doing well ( the white boxes). We don't usually have this much snow on the ground all winter.
    image (2).jpeg

More snow is forecast for tomorrow - just in time for the big game. At least we aren't in Foxborough!
    Hello Colobee!

Mid to upper 50's!! Here on the western-slope, we haven't seen mid to upper 50's for I don't know how long. The best we've been getting in my area, is mid to upper 40's at best, and not very many of them.

I have ~6"-8" of snow I the ground at my house, it has been here (on the ground) since before Christmas, melts a little bit, then it snows again, been like that all winter.

It's been a few years since I have seen 2 feet plus of snow from one storm down here in the valley, but it does happen on occasion. Good luck to all of you back east!

Quote Originally Posted by SAS View Post
    It's been a few years since I have seen 2 feet plus of snow from one storm down here in the valley, but it does happen on occasion. Good luck to all of you back east!
    Thanks, I think I have 30 inches and it's still snowing.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    You should be fine, they will still get oxygen enough to breath through the snow.

I would however make sure the entrance's are clear once the snow stops, or lets up.

I would show mine, But, OH WELL, we haven't had any now here in N.W PA yet. Now the rest of you who do not live in the lake effect show belt know how we feel every other year. Nahaha teehee

Quote Originally Posted by DPBsbees View Post
    I'd like to hear Michael Palmer's reply to this. He deals with way more hives than us in the snow.
    Michael Palmer had an old post about this I dug up researching this same thing earlier this morning. Can't quote it exactly but the gist was that the bees won't suffocate over a couple days so it isn't pressing that you dig them out immediately, even without a top entrance. One person told a story of their apiary being so buried that they ended up walking on the hives on their way out to dig them out lol. In that story the space around the hives had actually melted because of the heat the hives generated.

Weatherman got it way wrong for our area. Only supposed to be an inch or two, so I didn't wrap the hives before the storm. At 4pm Sat, with many inches of snow and 40 mile per hour winds, I decided the girls could use a break. Thermometers inside the hive still read that they are doing fine, but I feel better by having wrapped them. Was kinda funny, 3 guard bees came out to see what I was doing on one hive. Of course they fell down in the snow. Had to take them inside with me to warm up until Monday.

DSCF2902.jpg

DSCF2904.jpg

I don't worry about it. Too many hives in too many apiaries too far spread out.

I do feel better if the hive has an upper entrance, but I've seen plenty of colonies winter well with their upper entrance closed with propolis, and snow nearly burying the hive. Drifting snow is more concerning as it packs so tightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    ...I've seen plenty of colonies winter well with their upper entrance closed with propolis...
    I had a couple do that last winter. After all the discussion about about providing them an upper entrance (or not) and some hives just plug them up.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Here are mine. 2 storms have each dumped 2 feet of snow this year. Much more than usual.

I used to place my hives behind dense caragana or lilac hedges where the hives would spend the bulk of the winter deep under the snow. There wasn't flying weather from November to April anyway. When there was flying weather I would dig down from the top of the drift and find a melted out cavern covered with brown something. A single hive will melt a cavity the size of a 55 gallon barrel in that situation. The bees do not smother. As Mr Palmer said, hard blown snow can actually blow right in a hive and pack around a hive. But placement on the lee side of a hedge never harmed one of my hives. They wintered well in fact benefitting from the insulation.

That snow on top is proof of good top insulation!
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky_arthur View Post
    Here are mine. 2 storms have each dumped 2 feet of snow this year. Much more than usual.

Here's a picture from yesterday afternoon and then earlier today about 24 hours later. I had some foam insulation so I wrapped the Langs before the storm (which do have an upper entrance). The top bar hive is insulated on top.

160122c Snow Hives.jpg 160123a Snow Hives.jpg

Erik
    In my second winter with 3 Langs and 2 Top Bar hives
    https://beeswitheeb.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast