Poster Child
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Poster Child

Default Poster Child

I'm reading the poster child of CCD, Hackenberg has lost 90% of his 1700 hives this winter. That's about all the article says about that... The rest of the page was about Neonics and CCD.

Does anyone know if there has been some diagnosis on the cause of his hive losses?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Poster Child

will you share where that's written?

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

thanks Rader.

A good book I read was Michael Schacker's, "A Spring Without Bees". He sites his sources well, and explains things concisely. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a starting point in the CCD/pesticide (neonicotinoid) investigation.

Because I feel for the guy, but it's his second near wipe out.!? What's the story behind this story ? I'm sure he gave approval to have his quote lead that agenda driven article...

From the article - "now researchers are even finding neonics in the liver belonging to deers, and maybe even pheasants, muskrats, elk, and moose".

Maybe? What does that mean? The journalist thinks maybe they did but he don't know? Dislike this shonky journalism.

I recall the sixty minutes segment some years ago during the CCD episode. Hackenberg took a reporter out into his beeyard, popped the cover on a hive....and deftly removed a shop towel from the tops of the frames. If you weren't watching closely you'd have missed it. I'm not saying this is all his own fault...but I don't think he's squeaky clean either. Just my opinion.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Remember that.

He wouldn't be the only one though and most others not having these losses. But bottom line nobody knows what he's doing / using, might be same as others, might be something off the wall.

Are there other beekeepers in the same territory and NOT having similar losses?

I'm also trying to understand the economics of it. Pretty sure that in my country if someone had 70,000 hives and lost 40,000 one year, then went on to have around 90% losses for each of another 2 years, they would be done, broke, out of the industry. How do these guys survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He wouldn't be the only one though
    I agree. It's just that if you start pointing fingers elsewhere...you ought to have your own house in order.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Wasn't a shop towel with Taktic a relatively common miticide in the day for large operators?
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

Still is. Thing is, you see a shop towel, don't necessarily mean it's tactic. A guy with a record like that you have to wonder what he could be doing, his results indicate something is amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I agree. It's just that if you start pointing fingers elsewhere...you ought to have your own house in order.
    Agreed. Should he go to court and the other side has a competent lawyer it would be hard for him to prove it was the "other guys fault".

Quote Originally Posted by DPBsbees View Post
    Wasn't a shop towel with Taktic a relatively common miticide in the day for large operators?
    Sure...and as Oldtimer pointed out it still is. But...was Taktic what he used? And, if so, at what concentration? And a slew of other questions come to mind.
    Again...I'm mainly saying that he was pretty foolish to open that hive in front of sixty minute's cameras for the world to see...and then blame neonics for his colonies' collapse.

Have to agree. If I lost that number of hives I'd be paying to have everything analyzed to determine a cause so I could prevent it from happening again.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    .I'm mainly saying that he was pretty foolish to open that hive in front of sixty minute's cameras for the world to see....
    What I saw was dry black old drone comb, this thread should be in the 101 section.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Hmm I'd like to take another look, anyone have a link to that footage?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Hmm I'd like to take another look, anyone have a link to that footage?
    How about this?

http://bee-quick.com/ccd/60min_slo_mo.gif

or this

http://bee-quick.com/ccd/60min.gif

Yep, it musta been neonics. Again and again and again.

Hmm, didn't look a whole lot like drone comb to me.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast