Lega Heat Gun Vaporizer
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Lega Heat Gun Vaporizer

I just ordered the Lega Vaporizer that attaches to a heat gun.

What heat gun are folks using?

What size generator are you using?

Thanks, Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Lega Heat Gun Vaporizer

I got this reply from Blue Sky supply when I asked that specific question the other day.

"We know it works with is the Steinel brand (because of fit), but we are looking at the less expensive Wagner or Kobalt gun units that have a digital temp readout to see if they fit as well."

I passed on it for now when I priced out the generator you would need (2-3kW). I erred on the high side and from what I found they were around $1K. That put the whole set up at around $1.4K which was more than I could justify for something I'm not 100% will work. I'm already spending over $400 for Apivar annually and those numbers keep increasing as do my hive numbers, but I know if works. I'll be watching opinions on this for the next few years.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Coates, with those number, are you treating between 50-60 hives?

Just wandering if my quick thinking is right, without doing any research. I used oxalic acid vap. With a homemade vap. This year, I used two at the same time. It seemed to keep me busy. I can see getting good enough for 3 timed out correctly and probably wouldn't go in the heat gun direction until 50-60. So, how's my math?
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

Steinel heat gun Type 3482 2,000 Watt ~140 US$

Bought an used generator, 2.4 kW. For ~160 US$. If you turn up the heatgun too much, the generator blows. So I go with lower temperatures and need to wait a bit longer until it starts vaporizing. Ten minutes or so. If you have a choice, get a generator with 4 kW.

Vaporizer for 200 US$.

What you need is a full gas mask. I use a Dräger X-plore combination filter, class A2B2E2K2 Hg NOCO20 P3 RdD. It filters both gas and particles. The only one that I can breath with in the midst of the fog.

Doing 100 hives in 40 minutes. That's just great.

you guys are way overpricing the generator. This one [I have one for my house] will certainly do the trick with Kw to spare.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/8750-pe...iii-69671.html

Steinel 2010E - gun needs to have digital adjustment. A 6kW generator because I had it already. The gun has a 1500W draw. It is mostly a resistive load, so a 2kw generator should do it. Fit wasn't great even with the Steinel. I used some aluminum foil to tighten it up. I see that the new photo on the Lega site shows a set screw. Instructions/temps have also been updated.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

That is a big generator to haul out to the beeyard everytime you want to treat especially if doing the three treatment every 7 days , but if your doing alot of hives commercially it would save alot of time ( 100 hives in 40 mins wow ) . I have a 1000 watt and a 5000 watt , I was hoping the little one would work its so easy to grab and haul around but it looks like you need more power !!

Quote Originally Posted by rookie2531 View Post
    Coates, with those number, are you treating between 50-60 hives?

Just wandering if my quick thinking is right, without doing any research. I used oxalic acid vap. With a homemade vap. This year, I used two at the same time. It seemed to keep me busy. I can see getting good enough for 3 timed out correctly and probably wouldn't go in the heat gun direction until 50-60. So, how's my math?
    You're close but I'm smaller. I've got +/-30 hives with +/-15 nucs. Apivar costs me +$12 per hive to treat, nucs, +$6-$9 (depending on their size). I just finished the hardware for 5 more hives for this year. I went away from the Heisyer because it simply took me too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    If I'm getting a generator it's going to be quite (for additional uses) be a known brand and have a rock solid support network for when it needs repairs. The harbor freight unit is inexpensive but that low cost comes with corners cut. I've been in the outdoor power equipment industry for going on 26 yrs. and I know too much about low cost engines to go down that path.

I'm actually on my second one it 4 years. I buy the cheap warranty. The unit is less than 1/2 the cost of some of the "better" models and starts and runs quite well. I like it and am satisfied. I'm sure the more expensive models are better.

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    If I'm getting a generator it's going to be quite (for additional uses) be a known brand and have a rock solid support network for when it needs repairs. The harbor freight unit is inexpensive but that low cost comes with corners cut. I've been in the outdoor power equipment industry for going on 26 yrs. and I know too much about low cost engines to go down that path.
    It's nice if it has a load sensing idle/throttle control instead running at full tilt all of the time. A generator is one of those things you need to work when you need it. A warranty won't get the lights back or keep by sump pump running in a power outage.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I used a modern Honda generator a couple of years ago...I couldn't believe how good they have gotten. Ran forever, started with one gentle pull, and quiet.

I remember (in the old days) getting the generator as far away from the loud music as possible because of the noise....this was a whole different beast.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

I think I'm going to go with a Honda 3000 watt. Expensive, but very quiet.

Oldtimer would be a great person to get information from on this subject. He uses this setup and has been for a while, I think.

I've got one on order and hope to receive it sometime soon in April. I'll be trying it with a wagner digital but for now I'll be able to use grid power until I have outyards. I already have suffered many power outages recently, so the generator is going to see multiple duties besides in the treatment of varroa.

Heck, it might be a bold claim to make, but I bet its going to be better than the VMvaporizer. I'm going to try my best this year to get something put up to put this unit to the test and show its efficacy compared to other delivery methods.

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    I went away from the Heisyer because it simply took me too much time.
    Have you looked at the new one they make, the JB700 ? Scroll down on this page to see it.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/vaporizer.html

Think I'm going to get one of those, it seems to hit all the bullets for what I want, quick, easy, temperature controlled. Should be able to walk down a line of 30 hives in half an hour or less using that one.

I still think the one from Italy will the blow the socks off that unit...

Orders for the Lega hot air vaporizers will be shipping next week. We have some on the water now and some being air-freighted in. These things are awesome. As of now, we have plenty coming in, beyond pre-orders. See listing for more info and videos.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

you guys and your expensive generators. Mount a power inverter in your truck. We ran one of these in our service trucks to run all kinds of power equipment. Will definitely handle a heat gun.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-CPI-...erter/10746778

Thanks- Power inverter may be the way to go.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast