Frame Perch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame Perch

Default Frame Perch

Hi Folks,
    Have noticed "frame perch's" on various videos online. Seems like a slick idea. Looking around online, looks like $35-40 to get one delivered. While it looks like a "wonderful thing," I have a barn full of wonderful things that I've bought over the years,, used a few times and are now in storage. :-) IF I'm doing anything with my bees, take one of the little tractors and garden cart and haul down everything I need, including a deep to place frames in during inspections. Anyone have these and use them?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Frame Perch

I already seem to have too many things to remember to bring. I also have empty deeps on my hives to cover my feed buckets, so I just use an empty box. But if I don't have one, I'll just sit it on the stand and lean it against the hive.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

I use them regularly. I use 2 of them so I hang frames on both sides of the box. Useful when you are looking for a queen or take picures.
    USDA Zone 7a - elevation 148 feet

I to use a empty box. Or nuc box.

I incorporated a couple of places on my hive stand to allow me to hang a few frames. It works, but it's really too close to the ground.

Before spring gets here, I'm going to make a stand like those used for "TV trays", and add a couple of cleats to a deep box to allow it to fit between the legs with the cleats to keep the stand erect.

I know, I know. That's what she said.

I am a big fan of the frame perch. Although, an empty super would work too. The frame perch is nice because it is "right there", minimizing how much moving around you need to do during an inspection.

Like many beekeeping items, the more hives you have the more valuable small efficiencies, like a frame perch, become.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Frame perch works great for attracting robber bees during a dearth. I use a quiet box ( nuc ) pull a frame or two put them in the box and close it up, impervious to robbers. You can move the box where you want out of the way.

i have a couple and did use them for awhile but found they were mostly cluttering up the tool box and i gave up on them. most of the time i just remove one of the outside frames and lean it up against the hive and push the others over to get to the ones i want to inspect.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks for the responses.

Hope all the East Coast folks are safe and warm during the storm tonight.

Ev

Don't see how I could've taken this picture without a frame perch

DSC_0465 - Copy.jpg

Lean your frames on another hive no need for the frame perch spend your money on things you can't do without

I gave up on frame perches in favor of an empty brood box set next to the hive I'm working. It holds 10 frames, if needed, and does not drop them, so the bees don't get ticked off at me

They are great when you are making splits.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

I like them and use one regularly when doing inspections, especially when you want to set the frame aside with the queen on it. I don't like setting the frame on the ground leaning against the hive or hive stand as I worry about her walking off the frame onto the grass and getting lost. Or leaning the frame against something and having it fall over or me accidentally kick it over and crush the queen. None of these things has ever happened, but there's a first time for everything.

When I remember to use my frame rest, I love it. Most often I prop the frames against another hive.

The way I'm set up right now, I set the telescoping cover upside down next to the hive, and lean the frame on that. It's on my list, though, as it will be useful for photography, and nice if you have to remove more than one frame.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    I am a big fan of the frame perch. Although, an empty super would work too. The frame perch is nice because it is "right there", minimizing how much moving around you need to do during an inspection.

Like many beekeeping items, the more hives you have the more valuable small efficiencies, like a frame perch, become.
    The more I grow, the less I use mine. I really liked them at first, when I was mostly manipulating 1-deep hives. As the hives grew, I found them less and less practical.

An empty deep resting diagonally on an upside-down telescoping lid is what I mostly do now. Allows me to transfer the whole deep's worth of frames if required, and mostly just holds them well and with a small gap below to make sure I'm not crushing any bees if they made burr comb beneath the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    Don't see how I could've taken this picture without a frame perch

DSC_0465 - Copy.jpg
    At arm's length. Think of it like a selfie, but instead of your cell being held as far out as possible, it's your frame. I could be wrong, but that frame looks like a shallow filled with brood... should be pretty light. For queen pictures, I usually just rest the frame against the hive.
    www.apisrustica.com Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens
    www.facebook.com/Apis.rustica

Is that a picture of a shallow frame being used in a deep box?

Quote Originally Posted by rdneck View Post
    Is that a picture of a shallow frame being used in a deep box?
    Yes it is. When you run out of deeps this is the best solution. I have bunch of them in my hives. Some few years old. Some have bottom half drone cells. Bees love them.

I use the big frame perch. they call it mother earth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast