Totally a Noob Question

Default Totally a Noob Question

Yes these questions will painfully highlight my inexperience with bees but I'll ask them anyway cause I want to learn: when do people typically harvest their honey? How many times can you potentially harvest?

I'm located in the suburbia of NY and will (hopefully) be starting this year with an over wintered hive and Nuc. The Nuc will have a fair amount of comb to draw but the hive should hit the ground running. Any estimates on how much honey I could be expected to yield assuming healthy bees, typical weather etc?

Thanks, Pooh Bear

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Totally a Noob Question

I use deeps for everything. Deeps are heavy, so I rarely let a hive get above 3-4 boxes high. I've gotten in the habit of pulling full frames from the top box and adding empties to replace them. I extract 4 frames at a time and recycle those frames back into my full hives when I pull the next batch of frames. Makes for many small extractions instead of one big one. Since I seem to sell it as fast as I get it bottled, my customers apparently like this system too.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

> when do people typically harvest their honey?

Usually once in the summer after flow has slowed/stopped and the bees cap it.

>How many times can you potentially harvest?

Some may also get a fall harvest, most I think leave it for the bees.

>Any estimates on how much honey I could be expected to yield assuming healthy bees, typical weather etc?

It would not be unreasonable to get a super, expecting and getting are two different things. It also would not be unreasonable to get nothing for a 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    It would not be unreasonable to get a super, expecting and getting are two different things. It also would not be unreasonable to get nothing for a 3 years.
    Count any honey crop sooner (whether your goal of X years is > or < 3) as bonus. Keeping bees will teach you patience.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Beekeepers who target specific honey crops often pull capped frames as soon as the flow for that specific plant is done. In a good locust run I pull it all off as soon as capped which is late June around here.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.