The 6 Stages of Beekeeping Addiction
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The 6 Stages of Beekeeping Addiction

I had a little fun and wrote up a blog post on beekeeping addiction. I would love to hear if you guys agree or have any to add! http://beekeepinglikeagirl.com/the-6...ing-addiction/

6 stages of beekeeping.jpg
    Beekeeping Instructor / Live Bee Removal / San Diego, Ca / 90 hives. Check out my new book: Queenspotting

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: The 6 Stages of Beekeeping Addiction

I think one of the signs that you're an "over the edge beekeeper" is when a non-beekeeper just says the word "bee" and it launches you into a 20 minute rambling about why they swarm, what the bees use pollen for or how the colony makes a queen. Usually the person's eyes soon glaze over and they slowly start moving away from you.

I have to add that I've overheard rumblings from my family and friends about an intervention and they're currently looking for a 12 step program for beekeepers.

That happens to me too, people say they are interested in bees and my family not only rolls their eyes, but gives all kinds of signals to the fellow that they need to stop before i get started.....
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Kathleen........ As a 1st yr bee keeper last yr. I managed to make a lasting impression on the State Bee Keeper giving a class. She won't forget who I am. In edition, my neighbor down the street asked about beekeeping. I told her first and foremost it's expensive to the tune of $500 to get started. My bee suit alone was $280 and at that point she lost interest in bee keeping. 30 minutes still rambling away her mom and brother had walked off. I managed to get my excitement level cut off and she said she probably would just come by for some honey at some point next year when I had some for her.

Just for kicks I educate while I am idle, like grocery line check out. "Did you know........" and talk about something quick in passing. People find it fascinating with out getting overloaded. Example: I'm a beekeeper. Did you know that male bees are called drones? Drones do 3 things eat have sex and then die. Drones don't have stingers.

If I had known what the expense was, I would not have gotten into bee keeping. I just bought 2 VHS Queens for $86 10 minutes ago and that my friends is utterly expensive cause I have yet to harvest a jar of honey for profit.

Quote Originally Posted by frustrateddrone View Post
    Just for kicks I educate while I am idle, like grocery line check out. "Did you know........" and talk about something quick in passing. People find it fascinating with out getting overloaded.
    Seriously?
    I think you're mistaking people being courteous with "fascination". It's more likely that they are fascinated by you rather than what you are talking about. These people are getting paid to talk to paying customers cycling through their line remember...

I had # 1 from the first time I opened a hive. Skipped everything else, except #5 and I'm glad you said something as I thought I was just crazy, but I to notice that bees like to land on me when I'm no where near my hives, or will just approach me and hover like they are orientating. Do we carry hive scent on us all the time? Have we been marked for life? I would be curious to hear others thoughts and experiences on this.

some other signs you have it bad....
    if you would rather spend 20 minutes in sub-zero temps with snow blowing sideways staring at entrance of a hive hoping to see a forager.

you see every piece of wood as a potential hive part (stage 1).... every piece of wood longer than 20 inches DOES become a hive part (stage 2), you build enough equipment to support a commercial operation but don;t plan to expand past 2-3 hives (stage 3).

you have breed you bees and expanded your colonies for 5 seasons or more in your mind.

as kathleen said.... people intentionally avoid you so they don;t get drawn into ANOTHER long dissertation on the mating habits of varroa mites or equally interesting topics

you have one hive but have stashed away enough jars for 2000 lbs of honey....

you often connect to a site like beesource and read everysingle word of every post - and get depressed when there is nothing new to read....

Sky

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Seriously?
    I think you're mistaking people being courteous with "fascination". It's more likely that they are fascinated by you rather than what you are talking about. These people are getting paid to talk to paying customers cycling through their line remember...

Ha ha the only time I talk about bees in a checkout line is when I'm at walmart buying 50 lbs of sugar. I always get weird stares and questions when buying bulk sugar, I think people assume I'm making shine based on my typical walmart attire, I used to just chuckle and say I'm a beekeeper, but now when they give me that look I just tell them I'm baking a cake for my diabetic neighbor.

Big Grin Re: The 6 Stages of Beekeeping Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    some other signs you have it bad....
    if you would rather spend 20 minutes in sub-zero temps with snow blowing sideways staring at entrance of a hive hoping to see a forager.

you see every piece of wood as a potential hive part (stage 1).... every piece of wood longer than 20 inches DOES become a hive part (stage 2), you build enough equipment to support a commercial operation but don;t plan to expand past 2-3 hives (stage 3).

you have breed you bees and expanded your colonies for 5 seasons or more in your mind.

as kathleen said.... people intentionally avoid you so they don;t get drawn into ANOTHER long dissertation on the mating habits of varroa mites or equally interesting topics

you have one hive but have stashed away enough jars for 2000 lbs of honey....

you often connect to a site like beesource and read everysingle word of every post - and get depressed when there is nothing new to read....

Sky
    Sky, I feel like you've been reading my internet logs.....
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    ....but now when they give me that look I just tell them I'm baking a cake for my diabetic neighbor.
    LOL - sorry - that's good - with your permission I'd like to add that comeback to my arsenal.....

Ha ha the only time I talk about bees in a checkout line is when I'm at walmart buying 50 lbs of sugar. I always get weird stares and questions when buying bulk sugar, I think people assume I'm making shine based on my typical walmart attire, I used to just chuckle and say I'm a beekeeper, but now when they give me that look I just tell them I'm baking a cake for my diabetic neighbor.
    I'm there either coming out of work in khaki's and a polo or in my ripped up bee jeans and similarly junky t-shirt and camo Crocs. 100# of sugar does draw people's attention. I typically just tell them that it's for my bees. I came up a lot of other ones that I might use next year, but none of them would be looked upon as appropriate for this website. It wouldn't surprise me if the government started tracking sugar purchases (or already does). They are all sorts of scared of their own shadow like that... God forbid one of the peasants makes his own brew.

Nice list. Anything buzzing I have to figure out if it's a bee, a drone, a fly...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Maybe this should be an Ode to Jeff Foxworthy "You Might Be a Beekeeper..." list?
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Great list . Once in a while someone will stop by to watch when I'm in the bees. My cousin did last summer I reached in the hive took out a peace of fresh burr comb shook of the bees and gave it to her. You would of thought I gave her a peace of gold. It's not only beekeepers that find what the bees can do fascinating. Come to think of it it is worth more than gold.

I get that same comment (about moonshine) every time I have 2 or 3-25# bags of sugar in my cart at Wal-Mart!
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

You might be an beekeeper when: you ask Santa for a bee bee tree for Christmas.

I had the one where a bee landed on me while we were way out on the ocean, boating. Very cool. She stayed on me until we got back to shore, where I gave her a ride to the nearest flower.

You might be a Beekeeper If, Everything you eat or drink has to be made with honey!

I'm just in it for the honey.

>I get that same comment (about moonshine) every time I have 2 or 3-25# bags of sugar in my cart at Wal-Mart!

It's definitely a regional thing. I've never had any one mention or even hint at moonshine. Usually it's "are you making candy?" or something on those lines when I'm buying an entire grocery cart full of sugar...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast