The 6 Stages of Beekeeping Addiction - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: The 6 Stages of Beekeeping Addiction

"I'm glad you said something as I thought I was just crazy, but I to notice that bees like to land on me when I'm no where near my hives, or will just approach me and hover like they are orientating. Do we carry hive scent on us all the time? Have we been marked for life? I would be curious to hear others thoughts and experiences on this."
    I feel the same way... just wonder if after you have been bit a few times.... is there a pheromone they leave in your blood?
    If You Learn From A Mistake... It Is Not A Mistake...
    It Is A Learning Experience

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I feel the same way... just wonder if after you have been bit a few times.... is there a pheromone they leave in your blood?
    I think bees recognize the beekeeper. There's a guy around here who attaches pictures of himself onto his hives so the bees will know him. I think maybe he's right. 50/50

Really I think it's smells. We all have our own scent and the bee world revolves around odors.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Too funny!!! Had me laughing out loud! Now I can't wait to read it to DH.

I've had most all of these big time especially the bee dreams. Even have DH dreaming about them with my droning on so much about them!

I don't do #9 with bees - only been stung once. I have Italians and they let me get away with murder!

Harley Craig, Bees seem to have a way of finding me and hanging around too. But having only been stung once, that's not it for me. I do visit the hive usually a couple of times every day and spend some time observing close up. So maybe their pheromones are getting on me. And then it may be something like Poison Ivy oil and doesn't wash off easily. Just a thought.

Here's my favs, including any that have been mentioned.

- dreamed once about my whole bed was bees, woke up screaming, couldn't touch a beehive for 2 days

- see bees anywhere, and sometimes when there aren't any...

- when I get stung, I now have a reflex to swipe them off with a hive tool to save their life, including when my mother has me come into the kitchen to "catch" a stray bee, and when they sting me, get flicked, bump off her and she screams... "She's harmless mom!" "I don't care get her out of here!!!" LOL! (She's never been stung before...)

- people here just stare for a few seconds at the cart full of 4# bags from Aldi's, glance up and realize I'm staring back and hurry away...

- start walking aimlessly around the yard looking at places to put bees, and as we are driving, "ooh, that's a good spot" "good sunlight for a few bee's here" even in random people's yards(so it's true! I'm not alone!)

- sitting on a warm sunny day in a lawn chair talking to the bees about my day (that's common)

- definitely planning years in advance for the girls, even dreaming of conversations explaining how I manage my 10,000 hives

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123