beebacteria

Thread: beebacteria

Default beebacteria

I just received an email that had a link to a scientific research protocol funded by the National Honey Board that is ongoing, and which is seeking participants to test the addition of a specific bacterial species (Parasaccharibacter apium) that is normally found in honeybee larvae gut to determine whether or not the colonies that receive the supplementation are healthier. The preliminary studies the researchers have conducted weren't big enough to state unequivocally that there was a decrease in Nosema disease, but the appearance was that it did seem to improve colony health. They need more observations, and I've signed up. I think that many of the Beesource beeks might be willing to participate and contribute their observations. They are looking for people who have plans on giving supplemental feeding in the fall of 2016, who have 8 colonies (so that 4 could be treated and 4 observed) and who are willing to submit their data on how their treated and untreated hives did after the intervention.

Look at: http://beebacteria.weebly.com/

and

https://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/2015/may/honeybee/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: beebacteria

How's this bacterial supplement administered?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    How's this bacterial supplement administered?
    They haven't said how to administer it yet but they ask you what you are feeding so I guess it will be added to pollen sub.
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

Quote Originally Posted by DPBsbees View Post
    They haven't said how to administer it yet but they ask you what you are feeding so I guess it will be added to pollen sub.
    Then the next question would need to be, how long does that bacterial supplement survive after mixed into the patty
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Not mentioned but perhaps the spores or culture goes into syrup.
    Bill

Have the researchers indicated when they will make a decision on who the cooperators will be?

I received an email today from the researcher. She indicated she had responses from 150+ individuals who were interested in the project, and that she might not be able to use everyone's bees for this project. She indicated she would likely be collecting information about forage, local conditions, etc., so that a statistically valid experiment can be assured. She is working on freeze drying the P. apium so that it can be reconstituted in supplement patties as live bacteria to be fed to brood.