Bushy Mountain extractor

Default Bushy Mountain extractor

Has anyone had any experance with the Brushy Mountain bee farm 21 Frm Deluxe Power Extractor? I am looking at this extractor and the Maxant 1400pl and have read several posts talking really positively about Maxant, so was looking for any input about the Bushy Mountain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bushy Mountain extractor

Looked at them when they first came in at Ruhl (a subsidiary). Nothing terribly special, foreign made, and nowhere the same quality as Maxant. Maxant and Dadant are the only USA made and will hold their value. Id like to be able someday to get spare parts 20 years from now...

I have a tendency to agree with DLS on this. Although I owned a SAF 9-frame unit for many years and had zero issues with it (and sold it for nearly what I paid for it), the 21-frame that you're looking at is priced nearly the same as the Dadant, and more than the Maxant. Granted, the SAF has "fancy" electronics to prescribe custom speed profiles, but see those as not all that useful. Further, the dependency on these electronics may actually be a liability as this unit ages. IF I were intent on buying a Brushy extractor of this size, I'd rather go with the 18-frame model (Item Number: 801G). Still, the Dadant or Maxant may be the right way to go.

I recall some posts regarding the Dadant 20 having some balance issues related to basket eccentricity. You may want to search here and look into that further.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

the 21-frame that you're looking at is priced nearly the same as the Dadant, and more than the Maxant.

Actually when you figure in shipping it comes out exactly the same as Maxant, which is the other unit I am looking at. I agree the electronics is one more thing that can go wrong, I was looking at the fact it has trays that install easily and will accommodate capping bags allowing it to be used as capping spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster View Post
    the 21-frame that you're looking at is priced nearly the same as the Dadant, and more than the Maxant.

Actually when you figure in shipping it comes out exactly the same as Maxant, which is the other unit I am looking at. I agree the electronics is one more thing that can go wrong, I was looking at the fact it has trays that install easily and will accommodate capping bags allowing it to be used as capping spinner.
    I bought my first powered extractor this past fall. I was leaning very heavily toward the one's Brushy Mountain sells. But before I made up my mind, I did as much research as I could. After doing my research, the extractor that was at the top of my list from Brushy Mountain, fell to the bottom of my list; mainly due to, to much plastic on the model I was looking at, and not made in the USA.

After looking at many companies that make extractors, I narrowed my list to 2-differnt companies: Maxant and Dadant. I finally made a decision and went with Maxant, and I'm VERY HAPPY I did. The reason I went with Maxant instead of Dadant, was that Maxant came with everything I wanted; where as with the Dadant extractor, I would have had to order an extra component.

The extractor size I bought is the Maxant 3100P (6/9 frame), the Dadant was a 6-frame for the same money, and if you wanted to make it into a 6/9 frame, you have to purchase the optional baskets. That is the only reason I picked Maxant over Dadant.

I personally would stick with a USA made product, and go with Maxant or Dadant.

If you call maxant and tell them you are a beesource member you get shipping discounts.
    Charla Hinkle

Thank you all for the input.

never go wrong with maxant The 20 frame unit is a real work horse for LOTS of years