Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Historical California Hive Brand Numbers and Names

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Spadeapiaries 
#1 ·
Does any one know where one can get a list of what California Brand numbers signify? I know that the first number is the county and second is the order the brand was allotted in. I am 15-32, the thirty second person in San Mateo County to get a number. I would like to know what the other county numbers are.
Does anyone know who these beekeepers are or were? They came off of old 8 frame deeps purchased on Craigslist.

TR HAZ
J ROMANCE
11-B43
11 85
51-24
I HANNA
848-1
BILLET

#2 ·
The last I heard the box of data went to Eric Mussen when the state closed down the AFB reg. That was over twenty years ago if I remember correctly. Maybe more. Although he is officially retired Eric is far from gone. Send him an email at UCD or get ahold of Elaina ( his replacement) As far as I know thats your best bet.

24-60 signing off......

#5 ·
I am.
I have a CHUNK OF box - SHASTABEE.
The Dept of Ag was still filling brand number orders a few years ago.

#7 ·
I know it was required here in the 70's. At some point I think they just couldn't keep up and made it optional.

My great uncle Ben Spade bought out Sam Moore to get the brands 37-18 and one he never used 37-17. Dad,
Font Material property Paper Document Paper product

Bruce Spade bought out Gene Crampton who had 37-59 but already had 37-63. Our good friend and the county inspector at the time Jack Hauer had 37-68. I had several uncle-in-laws (Jack, Don, and Bill Hodges) that had brands. I can find those and other numbers if I put some effort in.

I have old American bee journals with commercial ads from most of these people. The American bee journal page above from 1978 has an ad from Great Uncle Ben Spade, Spade Apiaries (our outfit), and Uncle Jack Hodges.