10 Mistakes New Beekeepers Make - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 10 Mistakes New Beekeepers Make

Excellent article
    Im a new beekeeper, have been studying, researching, watching videos and talking to experienced beeks. I live in laredo,tx where there is no local resources, no beekeeping association and almost no local beekeepers. I would like to teach a basic class, to introduce bk in my area. To make people aware of the benefits of this culture. Any advice?? Im planning on offering a free class at the local community college and university. Any plan that u recommend or topics to cover? Any resources that i can borrow?

Thanks for sharing your article

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    An excellent list. I might add one that I think is a misconception. A "full inspection" seems implied by many to be a regular and necessary thing. There isn't much to be gained from completely dismantling a hive frame by frame, most things any beekeeper needs to know about their hive can be learned by a brief and non-intrusive look at a frame or two from the center of the brood nest and a check of an outside frame or 2 for honey/feed stores.
    Good point. I could emphasize that more I think.
    Beekeeping Instructor / Live Bee Removal / San Diego, Ca / 90 hives. Check out my new book: Queenspotting

Laredrone, how long have you been beekeeping? When I teach, I like to first spend time on how bees live without a beekeeper. I think it helps new beeks make decisions when they have a strong understanding of the natural workings of a hive. After that, I think another good teaching strategy is to look at your mistakes and teach others to avoid them. Good luck!
    Beekeeping Instructor / Live Bee Removal / San Diego, Ca / 90 hives. Check out my new book: Queenspotting

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    I linked to it from my website Apiary Section. Hope you don't mind.
    Of course not, thanks for sharing it! I am glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Next Door Honey View Post
    Laredrone, how long have you been beekeeping? When I teach, I like to first spend time on how bees live without a beekeeper. I think it helps new beeks make decisions when they have a strong understanding of the natural workings of a hive. After that, I think another good teaching strategy is to look at your mistakes and teach others to avoid them. Good luck!
    i have been a beekeeper for less than a year, i did a lot of theory and have watched hundreds of videos. last year i did my first removal with very little experience and it came out ok. it turned into a strong colony that i still have. i did a second removal later this past october and they are doing ok, had to give em a new queen cause they were queenless. I am not very experienced but i really want to start a beekeeping community in my area, we have long summers and sunny days and multiple flow seasons with a variety of plants. My plan in to teach the very basics to create a community and from there learn together, attend classes and learn from each other. i will attend some classes in austin,tx with great experienced bks maybe i can get more advice from them

thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12