cost of starting ??????? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: cost of starting ???????

I started at a cost about 350. For one hive, package, self built woodware, but bought frames, foundation and p.p.e. and tools

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

when I ordered my bees in sept for next june the cost was 185.00 x2 =370.00 plus 13%tax so you do the math !!!!. this is Canadian money wish I had the access to bees as cheap as you guys get them id buy lots >>>

I started with 100.00 for jacket and tools 2 hives deep with 2 med honey supers at 180.00 apiece. 1 nuc I bought for 90.00 that I later split to fill my 2nd hive. I also bought 2 nuc boxes for 90.00 for splitting my hives to make more bee's. That's 640.00 for me to start. I also bought a few books and dvd to help me get started, for another 60.00. I hope to make it back this year. I harvested 20 jars of honey off 1 hive this year. I gave them away and I have many people requesting to buy honey now. So hopefully with 4 hives going this year. I will be able to sell a few hundred jars and make some of my money back.

From where I live,

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...345608851.html 130.00 per hive for bees.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...310193264.html 190.00 for a set of built but unpainted wooden ware.

Throw in a suit from Ebay and low end tools 200.00, and you should be in the business for about $520.00 for one hive, 840.00 for two, 1480 for four hives of woodenware and bees and basic equipment.

I have bought from both of the links, they are fine, respectable business people. They offer what they say.

You will add paint, maybe a better smoker, buy the wrong gloves and want better, but I think 1500.00 gets 4 hives here.

Make everything, capture bees, it can be cheaper by far.

sure interesting to see the difference in prices thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!! beemaster2015

In the spirit of RichardsonTX post desiring not to scare off new beekeepers.
    Sales of honey can pay of that initial expense within a couple years.
    Dan

Back in '06 the initial supplies I bought to start beekeeping (2 hives), not including bees or anything for harvesting honey, was $467. The packages were $105 apiece. So, getting into beekeeping cost me $338.50 per hive initially...

Since then it's been $10's of thousands of dollars spent but they've paid for those costs with their efforts.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I'm near east Ottawa so close to your location. Retired so everyday is a Saturday.

I started about 6 years ago with 2 double brood hives and 2 nucs (bees in a divided deep) plus all the usual equipment you listed for about $800. I purchased 10 used mediums with drawn comb from a guy near Carp that was shutting down. $200. Your most valuable asset is drawn comb. You should be able to find a lumber supplier to make hives but note that Canadian hives are usually 7/8 lumber not 3/4. I bought a simple $100 table saw and an inexpensive set of dado blades. You may major in bees but will get a minor in woodworking.

I put 9 hives and 5 nucs to bed for the winter. If you have good forage, abandoned dairy farms near a creek is great, you should get about 100 lbs honey per production hive. I took my honey to a friends to extract the first 2 years. I then bought a maxant 9 frame radial for about $1000. It is small enough to lug up and down to the basement yet big enough to handle the 50 supers I pull. I pull honey 3 times a year using 18 supers. I sold one oversized nuc (really a 12 frame hive) last year for $200 plus super plus 10 frames with foundation.

I have a good local market for my honey so my cash flow is positive and my investments are repaid.

In your neck of the woods you will need to worry about bears. The Carp guy was selling after his second bear incursion.

Regards Peter
    Ottawa. ON

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    I'm near east Ottawa so close to your location. Retired so everyday is a Saturday.

I started about 6 years ago with 2 double brood hives and 2 nucs (bees in a divided deep) plus all the usual equipment you listed for about $800. I purchased 10 used mediums with drawn comb from a guy near Carp that was shutting down. $200. Your most valuable asset is drawn comb. You should be able to find a lumber supplier to make hives but note that Canadian hives are usually 7/8 lumber not 3/4. I bought a simple $100 table saw and an inexpensive set of dado blades. You may major in bees but will get a minor in woodworking.

I put 9 hives and 5 nucs to bed for the winter. If you have good forage, abandoned dairy farms near a creek is great, you should get about 100 lbs honey per production hive. I took my honey to a friends to extract the first 2 years. I then bought a maxant 9 frame radial for about $1000. It is small enough to lug up and down to the basement yet big enough to handle the 50 supers I pull. I pull honey 3 times a year using 18 supers. I sold one oversized nuc (really a 12 frame hive) last year for $200 plus super plus 10 frames with foundation.

I have a good local market for my honey so my cash flow is positive and my investments are repaid.

In your neck of the woods you will need to worry about bears. The Carp guy was selling after his second bear incursion.

Regards Peter
    hey thanks peterp so I wasn't to far off im going to make some hives Ive been into woodworking for over 30 years so I know the the ropes. tsc had good deals on the year end stuff I got some 10 frame hives with the wax boards installed for 70.00 dollars plus tax . same went for the medium boxes too saved a lot of money that way and looking to by a 2 frame extractor for about 300.00 bucks I needed a goo pattern, that's why I got the stuff cant wait to get started

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12