WOW! just rolled out of bed! Some great meads.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WOW! just rolled out of bed! Some great meads.

Yesterday my best bud and I decided to rack some meads melomels, and others from the primaries to carboys. We also racked some that had been in secondary's for about 6 weeks, and bottle some that was ready for bottling. It was a late night as many of the selections needed sampling. Err go the reason this normally up with the chickens old timer just rolled out of bed.

SANY0011 (2).jpg

A few of our recent bottlings

Mead picture.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: WOW! just rolled out of bed! Some great meads.

So....? Is the head still clear or is there a headache in progress?

If you need a third sampling opinion I take one of the team and volunteer. I's never a good idea to handle mead without sampling. Looks good Tenbears

What does mead taste like? Is it like wine? The sugars ferment so it doesn't really taste like honey?
    7 years; 3 colonies.

Yes, I know that's not definitive. It's unique and different than wine. In the traditional mead you can definitely taste the honey. If you have a gal jug, 3 lb of honey and a local brew store it's easy enough to ferment yourself up a small batch. Plenty of folks and websites to walk you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eikel View Post
    Yes, I know that's not definitive. It's unique and different than wine. In the traditional mead you can definitely taste the honey. If you have a gal jug, 3 lb of honey and a local brew store it's easy enough to ferment yourself up a small batch. Plenty of folks and websites to walk you through it.
    I used this website http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/a...es-of-mead.htm and I just bottled some 16% mead yesterday. Real rocket fuel. I built another 4 gallon batch this morning. Before it ages, it may give you the impression it's rocket fuel, but it's not rocket science.
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

There is far more to making mead than creating rocket fuel. there are a great many varitiel honeys in the U.S. alone. the true craft of mead making comes in the transitioning the subtle differences into the mead. Have you ever tried Meadowfoam honey? imagine transitioning it's delicate marshmallow flavor of the honey into the mead. Nurturing clean fresh fruit flavor in melomels while at the same time maintaining a burn free smooth alcohol content requires a true scientific approach. Understanding how mercaptins can be turned to hydrogen sulfite and completely ruining a batch of otherwise good mead requires a more than mix and hope attitude. When a masterful mead is produced, The ability to reproduce it with exacting accuracy requires forethought, and documentation as well as a concise understanding of the chemical changes that can take place within the fermentation process. It is not rocket science to make drinkable rocket fuel if that is what you like to drink. And it is not rocket science to produce top shelf meads but it's close!

That is not to say it has to be difficult.
    Last edited by Tenbears; 12-16-2015 at 09:05 AM.

I've had 1 batch out of 8 or 9 that came out like rocket fuel, we blame it on being mishandled on the rack to secondary (my son siphoned lees and unintentionally oxygenated). With that exception, they are all quite tasty (and still aging). They include a few traditionals and cyzers, a berry melomel and a lot of metheglins.

We took several to dry and as such there is no "taste of honey", the ginger mead is a little sweet and similar to a ginger beer, the hopped mead is a little beer-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    The ability to reproduce it with exacting accuracy requires forethought, and documentation as well as a concise understanding of the chemical changes that can take place within the fermentation process.
    Or you could just say "follow the recipe."
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

Thanks for sharing TenBears, that's some very nice looking finished product, very pleasing to see and I'm betting even more pleasing to taste!!!
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colino View Post
    Or you could just say "follow the recipe."
    That would be assuming you are using a recipe, and that the recipe is for a finished product that suits your tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Thanks for sharing TenBears, that's some very nice looking finished product, very pleasing to see and I'm betting even more pleasing to taste!!!
    Thanks Ray. I am quite proud of my creations. I just dreamed up a new one last night I am calling it berry quad, A blend of four berries, I just pitched 5 3 gallon batches with various percentages of berrie ratios to see what produces the beat overall Melomel, in terms of legs, body, aroma, flavor, and finish. But I think they will all have merit.

Tenbears,
    What's varietal of honey is in the clear bottle on the left?

The clear bottle to the left is called white it is made with clover honey and fermented very slowly. The next a is buckwheat Metheglin with cinnamon and vanilla. Next is Lakota sweat A semi sweet mead made with wildflower honey from the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota. And the extreme right is elderberry Melomel made with the wash from cappings.
    Last edited by Tenbears; 12-17-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks very much for sharing, Tenbears. I was thinking just yesterday of researching mead-making, and the photographs of your fine meads have lent the inspiration necessary to convince me. The trouble is, now I'm thirsty, and I have no idea where the devil to get what I want...

John

The elderberry and cap washing is giving your a clear mead? I get a limited amount of clear honey but I would have thought the elderberry would have colored the batch. Also, how did you slow the fermentation, temp or incrementally adding honey?

JohnBruce,
    You've come to the right place Brother.

The left and right were transposed The left is the white and elderberry on the right, Stage feeding honey creates a sacked mead, Requiring many calculations to determine alcohol content. To maintain a slow ferment I manage the temperature toward the lower end of the yeast tolerances.

I hope you don't mind me using you to further my education.

On stage feeding honey. If you know x amount of honey and water will give you a specific SG, therefore an estimated alcohol content if taken to full fermentation; does stage feeding honey have a different outcome?

Using temperature to slow and prolong fermentation has what final impact on the mead?

Quote Originally Posted by Eikel View Post
    JohnBruce,
    You've come to the right place Brother.
    Much gratified to hear it, Eikel. If it all looks as good as Tenbear's mead, I think I'll be sticking around.

Tenbears - how long have you been making mead?

John

It looks good and tastes great, even more gratifying when you share and others also enjoy it. I've taken some into the local micro brewery and the owner/brewer offers to swap products.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast