What is the latest on the demand for bees in the almonds this year?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What is the latest on the demand for bees in the almonds this year?

Is there less hives needed this year? Prices? Has there been much rain?
    Maybe things will change when all the bees come out of the cellars? Will the bees crashing make a higher price in the end?

I know nothing. tell me what you know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: What is the latest on the demand for bees in the almonds this year?

Quote Originally Posted by MNbees View Post
    How did Shultzie say it in Hogan's Hero's...... I know nothing.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Default Re: What is the latest on the demand for bees in the almonds this year?

I think we had more rain last year at this point in our area, but we're getting more snow in the mountains at least and Southern Cali/San Joaquin valley have been getting a little more than us. If this super El Nino is going to pan out for us, it's not happening now, but I know Oregon and Washington are getting hit hard....

Is there less hives needed this year? Prices? Has there been much rain?
    Maybe things will change when all the bees come out of the cellars? Will the bees crashing make a higher price in the end?

R u looking for business advice or r u just nosing into someone else's business out of curiosity?
    Mark Berninghausen

MNbees, what does your grower or broker tell you?

Is there less hives needed this year? ... tell me what you know.
    Forecasters and Ag-professionals have reached a consensus that 2 hives per acre will hold this year.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Forecasters and Ag-professionals have reached a consensus that 2 hives per acre will hold this year.
    Still 800,000 acres of almond trees down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Still 800,000 acres of almond trees down there?
    I thought it was up over 1 million now?
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Mark Berninghausen

Acreage is well above a million.
    But don't get too excited.
    Orchard Mason bees are going to take the place of honeybees , boy-O-howdee!
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    R u looking for business advice or r u just nosing into someone else's business out of curiosity?
    Interested because i have bees available to send.

How many?
    Mark Berninghausen

I love it, do we hear 800,000 ac.... yes, do we hear 1,000,000 ac yes, do we hear 1,200,000 ac yes, any bids for 1,500,000 ac, going once, going twice.....

where's the popcorn at.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

The 2015 season bearing acreage was 890,000 with >150,000 acres in non-production (mostly young stands, but a minor fraction aging out of production at 25+ years). 2016 acreage will see the 2012-3 new plantings come into first fruit (about 50K acres).

2015_ca_almond_subjective_forecast.pdf.jpg

Everywhere I have traveled in the valley (Kern south of Bakersfield, Tulare, Madera, Yolo and Colusa) mind boggling tracts of former annual crop land is being cross harrowed into the characteristic pattern of a yet-to-be-planted orchards.

If bearing acreage increases by a nominal 30,000 acres, this implies 140 extra truckloads of bees flowing into the state.

The "help wanted" ads posted by Paramount out of Punta Gorda, Florida stated they had 30,000 hives under management (ex-Mendes). They are seeking salary beekeepers with 5 years experience that would be fronted 5,000 to 10,000 hives to be managed quasi-autonomously. https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/pu...=5000060735306

Source: http://www.almonds.com/sites/default...e_forecast.pdf

and

http://www.almonds.com/sites/default...esentation.pdf
    Last edited by JWChesnut; 12-14-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    where's the popcorn at.
    You know some smart aleck is going to say, "In front of the at." But not me.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    The 2015 season bearing acreage was 890,000 with >150,000 acres in non-production (mostly young stands, but a minor fraction aging out of production at 25+ years). 2016 acreage will see the 2012-3 new plantings come into first fruit (about 50K acres).

2015_ca_almond_subjective_forecast.pdf.jpg

Everywhere I have traveled in the valley (Kern south of Bakersfield, Tulare, Madera, Yolo and Colusa) mind boggling tracts of former annual crop land is being cross harrowed into the characteristic pattern of a yet-to-be-planted orchards.

If bearing acreage increases by a nominal 30,000 acres, this implies 140 extra truckloads of bees flowing into the state.

The "help wanted" ads posted by Paramount out of Punta Gorda, Florida stated they had 30,000 hives under management (ex-Mendes). They are seeking salary beekeepers with 5 years experience that would be fronted 5,000 to 10,000 hives to be managed quasi-autonomously. https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/pu...=5000060735306

Source: http://www.almonds.com/sites/default...e_forecast.pdf

and

http://www.almonds.com/sites/default...esentation.pdf
    Heard through the grape vine that they lost 30% above normal and fired all the Florida Management.

Send them, there's homes for them!

This from the Wonderful recruitment site.

"Once our R&D finds the best beekeeping practices, each leader will need to be adaptable enough to adjust their management according to compelling data"

If R&D finds them I hope they let the rest of us in on the secret. My experience is you can follow the same exact practices two years in a row and end up with different results. Even more to the point, we do pretty much everything the same to all our bees each year and still see wide fluctuations from yards just a few miles apart.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

So 1 million acres almonds equils the need for 2 million bee hives ? Yes ? No?

Bee brokers are still advertising in the abj for 2016 almonds must be some openings still

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast