Allergies and my bee hives?

Default Allergies and my bee hives?

I was wondering if anyone with seasonal allergies suffers worse after hive inspections. I have terrible allergies and take an OTC pill daily 10 months out of the year. Sometimes I forget to take the pill and if I happen to do a hive inspection on that day, I end up having a major allergy attack. Does anyone else experience these symptoms or is it just a coincidence?

I can see that I'm opening what equates to a box filled with pollen, but even if I'm not elbows deep in my hives, I always seem to have a reaction. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Allergies and my bee hives?

The bees circulate air through the hive pretty much all the time during nice weather . They really get going when they are evaporating nectar. Foraging bees are also nicely dusted with pollen. So combine the two and you have a dandy set-up for an allergy sufferer.

Some folks claim that eating local comb honey helps ease their allergies. You are the perfect guinea pig to test that theory.

Have you considered it might be the smoke?

Interesting thought gezellig...I never thought about the smoke. I use pine needles exclusively in my smoker. I have never been bothered though by camp fires or bon fires, but I'm not burning pine.

Thank you Arnie, this is my first year and I didn't get any honey for myself, but I do consume honey from a local orchard. (1 mile away). I have heard the theory about local honey and allergies...not sure I'm on board. I rely on Claritin to keep my symptoms in check. I was just curious if anyone experienced increased symptoms after tending their hive(s)

You said you forget to take your pill then you have the attack when opening the hive. Makes sense. Also, one pill can only assist or cover up the symptoms of your allergy to an extent. Once you are bombarded with high doses (concentration) of your allergens, (like pollen from within the hive) symptoms or signs of your allergy will break through the masking ability of the meds. My brother has this problem every once in a while. Either that, or he is a wuss. lol

Since we started beekeeping about 10 years ago my season allergies have almost disappeared.
    Coincidence, I don't know.
    Dan

Don't antihistamines have a bounce back effect where when you stop the medication, you suffer from symptoms horribly? Especially if it is used every day. I know that is the case with nasal type sprays.

Not that I know of Eric. I take a pill daily to relieve my symptoms during the spring and fall. I also from time to time use a nasal spray, but I don't use it for longer than 3 days due to the rebound effect.

I was cruising the web today looking for Pollen. Turns out that some are digesting it to help with seasonal allergies. I was looking to buy some for my bees but it got me thinking. I too have seasonal allergies but I havent experienced any issues when opening my hive. I'm now thinking of starting pollen therapy to help me with my allergies. I know this works with all sorts of allergies so why wouldnt it work with the pollen my bees bring in. My plan is start collecting and separate by the season.

https://www.911honey.com/v/vspfiles/...ee_pollen.html