Making a split with no queen or cell

Default Making a split with no queen or cell

After making the split, how long will it typically take for them to start developing queen cells, and how long should you leave before doing an inspection for queen cells?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Making a split with no queen or cell

The bees will figure out they have NO queen normally within 24 hours, most figure it out sooner. They will then decide on a few larva that is right, or if you only have eggs they will wait for the first ones to hatch and use them as queens. Once this has been started you will be able to see them drawing the wax out for the cells in just a couple days. They will cap the queen cells on day 8-9 of the cycle. Then 8 days later there will be a new virgin queen or two or more. They either duke it out or strike first and kill out the competition virgins and from there 4 days pass for hardening of the exoskeleton of the queen, she flies out if you have good weather on mating flights around that time. Once she is done with mating flights it takes roughly 7 days before she starts laying eggs. Most Beeks will wait 30 days after making a split to get into it and do anything, other than to check that they made queen cells in the first place. Hope that helps.
    Thomas Bartram

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    The bees will figure out they have NO queen normally within 24 hours, most figure it out sooner. They will then decide on a few larva that is right, or if you only have eggs they will wait for the first ones to hatch and use them as queens. Once this has been started you will be able to see them drawing the wax out for the cells in just a couple days. They will cap the queen cells on day 8-9 of the cycle. Then 8 days later there will be a new virgin queen or two or more. They either duke it out or strike first and kill out the competition virgins and from there 4 days pass for hardening of the exoskeleton of the queen, she flies out if you have good weather on mating flights around that time. Once she is done with mating flights it takes roughly 7 days before she starts laying eggs. Most Beeks will wait 30 days after making a split to get into it and do anything, other than to check that they made queen cells in the first place. Hope that helps.
    So should I check after say 3 days to make sure they have started making some queen cells, or are you saying don't open the hive for 30 days?
    I was told some people destroy capped queen cells as long as are other uncapped queen cells with larvae as they will be younger, resulting in a higher quality queen.

If you give them some young larva or eggs they will make cells guaranteed. You can check in 3-4 days for a learning experience but, you don't have to. But, after that don't open it back up for 30 days to check for a laying queen.

If were to make an assumption, I would say the first cells would be the best quality, as the last ones might not be fed well enough and/or drawn out in desperation.

After 3 days I saw 2 queen cells side by side. I have yet to see foragers in the split, they have maybe 1/3 a frame of stores. Is it a good idea to leave it for a month? I'm a little worried they might run out of food since they aren't bringing anything in yet.

You need to look at the amount of bees in your nuc, it's possible there's not enough to cover the brood and forage at the same time.

It wouldn't hurt to shake a few frames of bees into the new hive. Just make sure the queen isn't on them. I also like to place the new hive in the original (donor) hive spot so the foragers will be entering the new hive.

I like to leave them alone for 30 days. Then check for eggs.
    Dan