Looking for source of VSH package bees that ship

Default Looking for source of VSH package bees that ship

I left my last 2 hives in a move 2 years ago and am getting back in the hobby with all new equipment, where can I buy VSH packages from an outfit that will ship packages to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Looking for source of VSH package bees that ship

You shouldn't have much trouble finding someone in your area selling hygienic genetic Lots of package supplies in Mississippi. Get your hands on an American Bee Journal or Bee Culture magazine January issue. They'll be tons of advertisements.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Remember, you can start with any bees for the package, and put in a VSH queen. In a couple of months, that's what the workers will be.

We're running VSH queens and we really like them so far. We're hobby beekeepers, not commercial. I would suggest finding a local breeder if you can because they do seem to be able to breed them for good traits for the local environment. Mine trace their genetics to Glenn Apiaries but are bred locally with local bees.

by adding shipped, your cutting down the numbers A lot. In the last 3 years the number of package producers who will still ship has dropped.

Spell bees and Rossmans, MAY. Richard Weaver in Texas will< and Phil Hosland (her on BS) will ship. I think Drapers may also yet.

Ask Oliverez Honey bees, they sell packages, & VSH queens.
    http://www.ohbees.com/
    Northern California bees
    Dan

Another contact. http://vpqueenbees.com/purchase/production-queens

I post these because like you I'm interested in introducing VHS queens to my new apiary. Please post your feedback

I really think buying VSH queens/packages is over rated. Buy yourself a couple of southern made packages and when queen rearing is in full swing in your area requeen your hives with a couple of local raised queens from a local beek. You will be money ahead and most likely your hives will be headed up by harder queens.

People continue to confuse hygeinic behavior with VSH. Although they are both about "cleanup" they are not about the same thing. In short....VSH has to do with "Cleaning up" mites while Hygeinic has to do with the bees propensity to clean up the hive in general. I cant see any reason why everyone would not benefit from "Hygeinic" bees. The main drawback with super strong VSH bees is that they often fail to "grow" as the bees tear out brood at at a rate so high that the loss rate of bees can be higher than what is needed to maintain and grow bee numbers within a hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    People continue to confuse hygeinic behavior with VSH. Although they are both about "cleanup" they are not about the same thing. In short....VSH has to do with "Cleaning up" mites while Hygeinic has to do with the bees propensity to clean up the hive in general. I cant see any reason why everyone would not benefit from "Hygeinic" bees. The main drawback with super strong VSH bees is that they often fail to "grow" as the bees tear out brood at at a rate so high that the loss rate of bees can be higher than what is needed to maintain and grow bee numbers within a hive.
    Howdy all,

Most bee strains that express VSH behavior in a degree to impart mite resistance, have been selected to be productive.

VSH expression can be "bred into" strains that are already good. The undesirable characteristics that Honey-4-All states above might exsist

but certainly not in any of the available mainstream strains being produced.

VSH is advertised often. Ask if you may get some of the sources' references and ask about the source's breeding program.

This will almost always indicate how serious the source is about selecting for quality stock, to include VSH expression as well as other good characteristics.

Adam

Hi Adam.

Wanted to let let you know that we have one of your AI queens over on our breeding stands. A beek nearby brought it over last year for us to graft some cells for him. This year ( a few weeks back) when the BIP folks showed up for freeze testing I had them put it to the test. Ended up 95% opening up in 24 hours with 84% total clean out. Nice job.

Congrats on the move South. I was always twisting my neck over how the heck you were going to do what you were trying in the old spot. Now you'll be able to produce queens till your sick of em....

Phil

Hi Adam.

Wanted to let let you know that we have one of your AI queens over on our breeding stands. A beek nearby brought it over last year for us to graft some cells for him. This year ( a few weeks back) when the BIP folks showed up for freeze testing I had them put it to the test. Ended up 95% opening up in 24 hours with 84% total clean out. Nice job.

Congrats on the move South. I was always twisting my neck over how the heck you were going to do what you were trying in the old spot. Now you'll be able to produce queens till your sick of em....

Phil
    Hi Phil! Thanks for the news--we work hard to keep our stock productive. Getting a "check" from BIP is very nice.

If I was to get sick of producing queens, I'd be seriously ill already...
    Adam
    http://vpqueenbees.com

Hi Adam.

Phil
    Hi Phil,

thanks for the note: So far our new location has been good to us and the bees!

We're happy to have good feedback on our stock. BIP tests are a good metric for sure!

We select for VSH behavior (the 95% opening). 84% removal is general hygienic behavior, we do not test for, but is a good mark for sure!

Have a good 2016,

Adam