Short Methleglin (Quick Drinking Hydromel) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Short Methleglin (Quick Drinking Hydromel)

Has anyone tried this without the tea? I want to make a quick drinking hydromel, but really don't want anything but honey. If I follow this recipe and withhold the tea will it still work and be enjoyable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Firestix View Post
    I want to make a quick drinking hydromel, and be enjoyable?
    There is no such thing! Quality mead takes time. but is well worth the wait. The foregoing recipe will work without the tea.

I would just add honey to water to the desired SG. 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient per gallon at start. 1/2 tsp tannin. 1/4 tsp Potassium metabisulphite stir well and let stand 24 hours, stir well add packet of your favorite yeast. When SG is reduced by 50% add 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient per gallon. When SG reaches 1.010 rack into carboy and attach airlock. Rack every 30 days until no sediment falls in 30 days. Then bottle. I personally like to age mead much longer rarely less than a year. but if you must this will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    There is no such thing! Quality mead takes time. but is well worth the wait. The foregoing recipe will work without the tea.

I would just add honey to water to the desired SG. 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient per gallon at start. 1/2 tsp tannin. 1/4 tsp Potassium metabisulphite stir well and let stand 24 hours, stir well add packet of your favorite yeast. When SG is reduced by 50% add 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient per gallon. When SG reaches 1.010 rack into carboy and attach airlock. Rack every 30 days until no sediment falls in 30 days. Then bottle. I personally like to age mead much longer rarely less than a year. but if you must this will do.
    I understand where you're coming from Tenbears, (Dances with wolves reference?) but I have family coming in two and a half weeks and I'd like to make an easy drinking (5%-8% ABV) hydromel that is similar to a carbonated cider, but with only honey. Unfortunately the only things I have at my disposal (along with the 2 1/2 weeks) are:
    1- Honey (obviously)
    2- Yeast Nutrient DAP (LD Carlson)
    3- Yeast Energizer (LD Carlson)
    4- Calcium Carbonate (LD Carlson)
    5- Lallemand Nottingham Yeast (Harvested and frozen from my cider brews)
    6- Lallemand Abbaye Ale Yeast - 11 g
    7- Lallemand Lalvin EC‑1118 Yeast

Trust me ... I'll start a batch to age properly but I want to have something from our hives to drink (2 gallons or so) when my sister arrives.

You will never get a mead to clear in 2 1/2 weeks let alone through a sparkle ferment. Even finning the mead it will take longer than that. Better to serve them Boons Farm than an unappealing mead, you could turn them off of mead forever. IMHO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12