Electric Fence (not for bear) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Electric Fence (not for bear)

You can buy electric poultry netting, that would be easier than trying to keep a wire that is three inches off the ground, free of grass.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thanks again for all the input. And thanks for following the thread to the appropriate forum - my bad.

The pond does have a drain pipe, but its too narrow for an otter, plus it has a valve that is on an automatic drain system, so its only open briefly during the draining and then closed again.

Right now, the pond has a tightly fitted leaf net over it. Yes, I realize that an otter could easily go through it, but it may slow him down. I believe that he may have been back recently. I smelled the "otter smell" yesterday. No access to the pond was found, but he's probably developing a plan for next time. The leaf net stays on until spring and the e-fence should go live tonight. The pond is more decorative than functional, as its in the front yard, which this limits our options on how fortified we can make it (my neighbors already think I'm crazy with all the bees). Also the pond is made entirely of river rocks, which makes it very hard to figure out where is the preferred entrance point. I'd like to figure out what path he's taking to access the yard, but there are no signs that I can find. Inside the pond there's a 2 foot deep shelf that could be used to place traps, but my concern with traps in the pond would be the fish getting caught. Koi fish are constantly eating algae off the bottom and would likely investigate the trap too. Perhaps I could rig a floating platform in the middle of the pond and use a conibear on it?? I have some 4 inch styrofoam that might work.

Here's a picture of the pond. The fishing line over the pond is to prevent the osprey from fishing it.

Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I'm glad you posted a picture of your pond. Puts things into perspective. I don't think traps are an option in or around the pond for the reasons you described, as well as a few others. However, the otter has to be using a waterway to get somewhere near the pond, correct? That may be the best place to trap him. Otherwise, the idea of a short fence with a hot wire across the top edge may be the only option.

Very nice pond!

Nice pond!
    If the e-fence does not work then consider staking some metal fence
    stakes with some stock fence around the pond. This should keep the otter from
    fishing in there.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tejones121 View Post
    However, the otter has to be using a waterway to get somewhere near the pond, correct? That may be the best place to trap him.
    That's what really puzzles me. We're not directly on water, so the otter must travel about 500 yards over land to get to our pond. Plus, although not a lot of homes, there are people living all around us. So he's pretty bold, particularly given that my wife caught him in the pond at 2:45 PM. I'd really like to figure out his route to the pond. Do you have any tips on how to help with that?

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Nice pond!
    Thanks. It started out as just a place for the bees to get water away from our swimming pool .

We see all sorts of sneaky animal behavior in our garden using game cameras. I'm fond of Covert and Ltl Acorn models. These are motion-triggered cameras, usually with infrared illuminators for night, that take several still pictures and optionally a short video clip when triggered. The stills are much sharper than security video. The models above can sense small animals at a greater distance than the cheaper models. Deer are usually detected 50 ft or more away, and squirrels 20-30 ft away. An otter would be somewhere in between.

Alas, which direction is it coming from? With no good guess, how many cameras will you need?

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    That's what really puzzles me. We're not directly on water, so the otter must travel about 500 yards over land to get to our pond. Plus, although not a lot of homes, there are people living all around us. So he's pretty bold, particularly given that my wife caught him in the pond at 2:45 PM. I'd really like to figure out his route to the pond. Do you have any tips on how to help with that?
    The striper and catfish ponds where we trapped nuisance otters were in the middle of a field, several hundred yards from a large swamp which bordered the field. The otters would follow a hedgerow, walking on land, from the swamp to the pond. They used the hedgerow the same way you would expect a deer, fox, or any other land animal to use it. Wild animals like to travel along "edges" when at all possible, regardless of their species. If you looked at the landscape and asked yourself "If I wanted to sneak in and fish this pond without getting my head blown off, how would I do it?", chances are the game trail would probably appear before your eyes.
    Also, just for clarification, otters will not swim through a pipe. They will exit the water, walk across the piped area, and get back in the water, 99.9999% of the time. When I mentioned a "narrow drain," I really meant a "narrow run" meaning an area of swiftly flowing water which funnels the water into a tight channel. Deadly place to set a conibear!
    Finally, how big was the otter? I don't see anything in the picture that is big enough for an otter to hide under? Just wanted to make sure your wife did see a mink, and confuse it for a small otter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tejones121 View Post
    Finally, how big was the otter? I don't see anything in the picture that is big enough for an otter to hide under? Just wanted to make sure your wife did see a mink, and confuse it for a small otter.
    The foot bridge he hid under during the encounter is cut off in the picture. I have never seen it. I've smelled it and found the dead fish tails. My wife claims that "its big". I'll ask her more about it, but I'm confident she's right. Also the teen-aged boy and his mother involved in the failed attempt to shoot it had not doubt about it being an otter. Everyone there got a very close look at it. These same people actually live down the street on Brewers Creek and said they saw three otter swimming in the creek just days before we first noticed a problem. Another neighbor down the opposite direction said that they had a pond cleaned out by otters several years ago.

I'll PM you my address and you can see the layout. The pond is actually on google maps.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12