Hive Location Suburban Backyard - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hive Location Suburban Backyard

I did a quick check to see if there is any simple page of beekeeping rules like we have in West Virginia. I found a rather ominous looking set of Illinois beekeeping regulations back in the Beesource archives: https://www.beesource.com/resources/e...ct-with-rules/

This is not a complete list, just what I can recall of our rules. Some jurisdictions have specific different rules, but the basics for small yards are:

If the hives are close to a property line (dimensions vary), you need a barrier to make the bees fly UP before they fly ACROSS neighbors' yards. A 6 foot privacy fence or tall hedge will generally do.

Provide water for your bees. Otherwise they'll find it on their own, probably pestering neighbors in the process. They adore salt water ... they are particularly pesky around salt water swimming pools. I put a small piece of trace mineral block in my poultry waterer to keep them at home and happy.

Know local regs for density. Areas that allow suburban hives allow some modest number per yard. Twenty is probably a Bad Idea.

Practice good swarm management.

Attend to the health of your bees. A local bee club that operates a bee school is priceless for learning this.

There is usually a distance requirement for placement of hives near penned or tethered animals.

Register your hives ... looks like this is an Illinois requirement. It may provide you some protection.

"Hot" bees need a home elsewhere. Try to find gentle bees. In your area the Africanized Honey Bees are generally not a problem but if you got a package from a sloppy supplier down south somewhere you might get AHB, in which case there's bound to be a law against it.

Not a regulation, but frequently effective: give your neighbors some honey.

Rooftop hives do get around the privacy fence issue. However, for inspection it may mean an inspector has to enter your house.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Here's an example of good bee stewardship rules, with some specific recommendations (tho' they vary from one jurisdiction to another).

http://colonialbeekeepers.com/index....atest&Itemid=2

Just going off the diagram I'd vote for 1

I vote for location #3.
    It is close to the pond so that the bees don't
    need to fly far away to get some water in the summer time.
    Provide them a place to fetch the pond water. Place 2 hives
    in front of the big tree next to the pond where they will get
    early morning sun and late afternoon shade from the hot summer sun.
    Location #1 is too far away and location #5 is
    too close to your house.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

and there Lee's bees is your lesson for today. You ask 3 beekeepers a question and you will get 3 different answers.
    most of your locations are usable. understand everyones reasoning and you decide. I've tried to keep my activity under wraps so I use my shed to suit up and store my bucket of tools. I have realized I really really like just being with the bees and not having everyone asking questions and bothering me. if the bees would just calm down we would have a nice relationship.

I picked 1 because it looks like good sun, won't bother neighbors and you can store extra gear and what not in the shed.

My vote would be for #1. During queenless periods, they can get testy until the new queen is laying. I like them away from my family and dog during those times. Shady spots have always been trouble for me and I can't get my bees to use water sources that are really close to the hives. Everyone has their own preferences though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12