What would you pay for equipment assembly?

Default What would you pay for equipment assembly?

So the neighbor kids want a job assembling bee equipment. I'm hoping to negotiate a piece rate as I know an hourly may result in wasted time and slow production. Just wondering what others pay by the piece for frame assembly or box assembly (including painting)?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What would you pay for equipment assembly?

How old and what kind of assembly?
    I use wood screws in all my boxes. A dollar a box sounds reasonable.
    Staples? That's faster and easier. Maybe $.50.
    Frames. $.10 a pop. Just throwing some number of what I would be willing to pay given he knows what he is doing.

lots of variables deep, mediums, nails, screws staples, etc. I would assemble three or four and time myself. Its easier to increase the price vs lowering.

Good rule of thumb is to look at equipment suppliers. Compare price of parts to assembled. Figure they are doing it on assembly line basis with every jig & aid known.

I pay a dollar a box for putting them together and a dollar a box to paint them. The good ones make money and the bad ones don't show back up after lunch. I do all my frames my self as they are easier to mess up and more costly if you don't find the bad ones until they have been drawn out.

Regards, Barry

i pay a friends little brother 8 an hour to help me (its worth it as long as im there to keep him on task) if ur not there id pay him by the finished piece

At $0.10 a pop for frames, I wish you were in Perth

In any business, do a Time and Motion Study each time you have a new operation to be done.

That is, have more than one individual do the operation, calculate how long lit takes, then allow for a learning curve, then, multiply by the amount per hour that someone could make in jobs readily available in the local area. If you have individuals that meet, or do not meet, the "production level", you can adjust the price.

If it is kids,(young adults) doing the assembly, the price per piece will be at the lower end of the pay scale. If adults, will need to be slightly higher. You can get a rough idea by how much major corporations charge for their assembled products versus how much they charge for non assembled products. I say rough idea, because, these corporations likely use salary workers to assemble the products and in addition to salary must pay, Social Security, Various State and Local Taxes, Workmans Compensation, provide tools and facility, and overhead, (insurance, heat/cooling, insurance, etc..)

A worker, working at home can accept less per piece.

After you have done one or two of these Time and Motion Studies they become easy to conduct, and it will tell you , How much time it takes to do the job, What you need to pay to get the job done, and, how willing someone will be to do the job for you.

cchoganjr

We're an authorized dealer for Mann Lake in SE Minnesota and we have a lot of customers who want to buy ready-to-use boxes. There's a local organization ("Ability Building Center", or ABC) that finds work for physically or developmentally disabled adults. We contracted with ABC to assemble and paint deeps and mediums. The ABC staff made sure they could assemble and paint the boxes safely. We pass the cost along to our customers, who are happy to support ABC, and we all have the satisfaction of helping folks who want to work but otherwise have hard time doing so, such as disabled vets or those disabled due to some kind of accident. They charge us just under $4 per box, and we're able to drop ship the unassembled boxes at their site. A good deal all around, IMO.
    Christian (Chris) Schad