that's right, I remember now
    Started April Fools Day 2017

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Linux has Changed...

Quote Originally Posted by R_V View Post
    remember Lindows?
    it was a linux version that was jiggered to look like windows. their tag line was "because it's the W that's causing all the problems"
    I'm pretty sure they got sued out of business....
    Yup, but mostly it was the name that sounded like windows.
    Most of the graphical user interface packages ( including IBM's(?) non Linux OS2) looked like windows of their day.
    Most of the Linux packages look like windows, and as long as you don't need something that is not included in the distribution, works like windows.
    If any thing goes wrong, just do a fresh install ( like we used to do with windows)
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Quote Originally Posted by tech.35058 View Post
    If any thing goes wrong, just do a fresh install ( like we used to do with windows)
    Better yet, just virtualize it. Or run a couple. If you need to wipe it, it takes no time at all to recreate the environment.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I've used Ubuntu since 6.04 and Redhat before that for work and home. I bought VMware workstation for Linux and installed windows in it (currently Windows 10) to run those programs. VMware is pretty amazing and I really can't tell the difference between my machine and co-workers native Windows installs (for Autocad, etc). 95% of my computing is straight linux though. I started with HP/UX and when our software supplier decided to port to linux we went there and were really happy.
    Bruce

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123