Linux has Changed... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Linux has Changed...

Linux user here also. I just bought new Dell laptop with pre-installed Ubuntu and I'm happy with it. In my opinion, linux is the only option when win10 is an alternative.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Huhhaaaaaaa??????
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

I've been all Linux for years at home. Various tablets when I'm on the road. Work still forces Windows but I don't think we've had Windows at home since before Win 98. I'm typing on a laptop running Ubuntu 16.04. I thoroughly enjoy the increased choices I have with Linux and the options I have to manage my own equipment.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

There are dozens of us... DOZENS!

Ubuntu 16.04 now started playing with RedHat, SUSE, and others in 93
    played with all the dif flavours of linux settled on Ubuntu about 05 when it was first released..

Wow, I'm surprised at how many here are Linux users. I started playing with Ubuntu 6.06 in high school back in the day...I tinkered with Arch a little bit, but overall I prefer Debian-based distros. I get to play with CentOS at work, but since starting to work full-time, I have fallen off the wagon. Windows 8.1 for my desktop and a late 2011 Macbook Pro are what I use at home because I don't feel like tinkering with computers in my free time anymore. ;)

:wq

25th birthday of the original Torvalds release!
    "If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."
    - W.T.S.

My 15 year old Compaq server running Netware 6.5 hosting DNS and DHCP finally died.
    I'm replacing it with a Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian (one of many Linux version for it) and DNS server software.

I also have a Raspberry running linux and OSMC as a internet media streaming device on my TV.
    Also a Pine64 running linux connected to the TV for Netflix.

I've been running some form of linux for my firewall for 10 or more years. Right now it's ipFire.

I used to run several lunix xpilot servers. That was a fun game.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_B View Post
    There are dozens of us... DOZENS!
    Yes.. we may be in the dozens now..

But... most people don't realize that their smart phone is a linux based OS.. so maybe we are into the several dozens... (I've rooted and run SU, and a term... I know... silly, but still fun)

Dozens and dozens and dozens. Linux is everywhere. I actually have trouble running a Windows machine now. Too few options. Too hard to use the CLI. With Linux I can run street easy or black hat hardcore. It all works. When I travel I image a pendrive and plug it into the hotels PC to get my work done. I save a couple gig of user space on the thumb drive for bookmarks and docs and I never have to worry about what works and what doesn't. In a pinch I can tunnel into my home and get what I need. As I've mentioned before, I've done this for years and years. Linux is actually a great fit for beekeepers, especially those that want to expand on an idea.

You all have me real excited right now. (well as excited as I can get about operating systems).

I am downloading Kubuntu (it is the same as ubuntu but uses the KDE (desktop environment) rather than Unity. Hopefully this will work on my old Intel Atom N270 processor in a tiny NetBook....

It's dark out anyway and will wait till tomorrow to get my mite count on the sticky board after Sunday's OAV.

Actually, you're probably better off with Kubuntu since KDE is often less resource dependent than the Unity offering.

Quote Originally Posted by kg7 View Post
    You all have me real excited right now. (well as excited as I can get about operating systems).

I am downloading Kubuntu (it is the same as ubuntu but uses the KDE (desktop environment) rather than Unity. Hopefully this will work on my old Intel Atom N270 processor in a tiny NetBook....

It's dark out anyway and will wait till tomorrow to get my mite count on the sticky board after Sunday's OAV.
    If that gives problems, try to find a netbook-remix, & install it, then run the upgrades from that..
    I have not played with the Ubuntu varieties since my hard drive failed a couple of years ago, so I am not sure what is out there now. I think the last remix verion may have been 9.
    I have been running PuppyLinux off usb drives ever since. Every version worked perfect with no tinkering. ( on an acer netbook zg5, I'm not sure what the processor is).
    What ever flavor you settle on, Good Luck ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Quote Originally Posted by tech.35058 View Post
    If that gives problems...
    Kubuntu installed and ran just fine.
    I did have an moment with the desktop installation going first, then the ubuntu core going second.
    The desktop window didn't size correctly and I didn't see the message box windows.

It has been working great for the limited usage I give that little netbook.
    (It did travel to Cabo with me and worked great)

My brother and dad started with the original windows, so that's what we have always used.
    XP was a good one, 7 was better (my dad switched only because his XP hardrive konked out.) , skipped 8 for fear of vista reincarnate, and we just recently got a win 10 laptop. it's ok for what I do, most everything I do is done via smartphone.

My brother knows people who dabble with Linux, he was going to make a server awhile back for my dad's 3 TB of movies (I know right.) But never got around to it.

I may use Linux eventually, but beesource, emails, and games are most all I ever do on a computer anyway...

Been using Mint for years.
    This site has all the latest versions of linux http://distrowatch.com/
    You can even run linux on a usb flash drive just to check it out without doing an install.

I'm bumping this thread to compete with the Windows 10 thread that just got bumped.

In addition to the Ubuntu (Linux) Nuc that I mentioned earlier in this thread, I now have 3 Raspberry Pi(s) running Raspbian (Linux) performing various dedicated tasks. About $35 each (plus a microSD card and a microUSB wallwart).

A Pi is limited in RAM and not really suited for a general purpose computer, but I find that it can be used as a backup PC if one is careful not to open too many browser tabs at once. I find that 4 tabs seems to be about the limit with Chrome.

Arrow Electronics was running a promotion a few days ago and I got 3 more Pi @ $25 each.

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Linux Mint Mate 17.1
    Has the look and feel of Windows XP or 7

If anything goes wrong I'm lost, as I don't know Linux file or operating structure. I always supported Microsoft products back in the day, now about all I do is BeeSource and Email and read news sites. I'm no longer so nerdy or geeky as I once was.

remember Lindows?
    it was a linux version that was jiggered to look like windows. their tag line was "because it's the W that's causing all the problems"
    I'm pretty sure they got sued out of business....
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Microsoft paid Lindows $20 million to give up the Lindows name, so they then changed their name to Linspire. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micros...ndows.com,_Inc.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast