sqkcrk goes south for Winter 2015-16 - Page 3
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: sqkcrk goes south for Winter 2015-16

How soon can you work those bees once there? When will they begin bring in spring nectar and pollen? Will you try to equalize now before winter? Do you raise your own queen stock or buy cells or mated queens?

Sorry, I guess I forgot that your "on the road" and probably beat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I'm going to go through the hives and feed syrup as soon as I can after getting them on the ground and some spread to other yards.

Nectar and pollen comes in sometimes late in January, but usually there is something in February. I start splitting in March. No, won't equalize this trip.

I buy cells from a friend who raises cells and caged queens. I also buy queens from a supplier from GA. I have a standing order for 100 due April 1st each year. If they have some available earlier I get called and will take some earlier.

Good night.
    Mark Berninghausen

Mark, throw a dog a bone. Are you able to add a few photos to illustrate your progress and encourage those of us who won't be able to open a box for 4 months?

If adding photos were as easy as it once was I would. Maybe when I see Herb he will have the time to teach me or at least write down the step by step directions. Whenever I try it says my photos are to large and then I see the size of Lauri's photos and think, "Huh? Too large?"

After I get into my bees I might not want to show anyone any pictures of them. They may look like crap. Who knows.

I did get to SC where rain seems to be the norm this Fall. I hope the semi can get into and especially get out of the yard where I want to unload. It costs enough to get them down here. I don't want to have to pay a semi wrecker to pull him to the road after he's unloaded. But if i do, I know who to call. Squeaky's Towing, Conway, SC. He has hauled me before in time of need.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    If adding photos were as easy as it once was I would. Maybe when I see Herb he will have the time to teach me or at least write down the step by step directions.
    Mark, I just use the "Basic Uploader" - it's on the bottom right of where you go to select files...... it doesn't seem to complain about file size.
    "If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve."
    - W.T.S.

"Upload of file failed." Did a test and that's what I got.
    Mark Berninghausen

Yes Herb it does. What I do Mark, since I'm pretty weak on the comp myself is, instead of trying to resize it, I just hit the "paint" icon on the bottom, then scribble my initials in a corner and save as a copy. It always downsizes the copy small enough to fit here. Then with basic uploader, just load the copy. Safe Travels. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

I do not know G. This is a big file...... it may depend more on the OS you are using (I use LInux)..... or the memory limitations of your particular machine. When in doubt..... upload to PhotoBucket (or some such) and link..... YMMV

dsc_0043.jpg
    - W.T.S.

Yeah, I know the photobucket thing works, but that's where the pretty weak on the comp comes in.
    By the way, thats some TALL CORN!! Were the ears as big as the stalks? One ear feeds a family...........

Got the semi and my own truck unloaded this morning. Went to visit landowners of other yards and left yard rent. The woods where the loading yard is may be logged soon, so I may have to move them. Or, maybe, only have to move them to another part of the hay field.

Temps were pretty cool this morning, so there wasn't much bee activity while unloading. I hope that's why there wasn't much activity. But I do expect there to be a number of dead outs since I was last into my hives about 6 weeks ago and there was some robbing at home when we had some warm weather after I gathered the hives together.

I'll move the pallets of double deeps to two other yards tomorrow morning and then I want to start going through the hives before I go get syrup from a friend of mine. There's no need to get a whole lot more syrup than I am going to feed at once.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by biggraham610 View Post
    By the way, thats some TALL CORN!! Were the ears as big as the stalks? One ear feeds a family...........
    That's not corn..... that's sweet sorghum.
    - W.T.S.

Grown on good soil. I don't remember seeing sorghum that tall before. You must top that crop after cutting the stalks.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Grown on good soil. I don't remember seeing sorghum that tall before. You must top that crop after cutting the stalks.
    Yea that was some pretty tall sorghum, but it grows pretty tall around here. :You chop off the head before it is squeezed.

Unharvested sorghum that is left in the field and allowed to ripen will draw honey bees like nothing I have ever seen.... now what they gain from it I do not know. I used to wonder what feeding sorgum juice to honey bees would do for them.... after the juice is concentrated it would make for fairly expensive bee feed.
    - W.T.S.

Wow, I have never seen sorghum that tall. That is impressive. Glad you made it safe Mark. Hope the casualties are low. G

Mark, I'm glad the trip is going well so far. I have a question for you. Do you have a strategy for trying to eat healthy when you are traveling? Do you have a cook stove or something for cooking up meals? Do you eat at truck stops and such? Curious

Can't say I have a strategy to eat healthy when traveling or not. But I did carry a bag of apples with me. Along with a bag of ham, some pumpkin pie, and a jug of cider left over from Thanksgiving. I carry a jug of water too, no soft drinks.
    Mark Berninghausen

Have a Ned Burger for me.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    Have a Ned Burger for me.

Something told me that you might be a "Hunter" fan....
    - W.T.S.

I guess I should be glad my truck made it as far as it did, but it died again this morning and has been towed to the garage to find out what's wrong. I'm glad it is empty and that the Bobcat is out in the yard where the hives are. Now I just need to figure out what to do next.

Maybe Enterprise deserves a call.

My hopes are that this is just like what happened before when the fuel tank lining deteriorated and fouled the fuel filter.
    Mark Berninghausen

My favorite is- "Have faith, but row away from the rocks."

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast