Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: sqkcrk goes south for Winter 2015-16

Yes, I did.
    Mark Berninghausen

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Glad to hear it. I have been imagining you driving down the road since this thread started. I guess that you are back in New York now.

That looks like a nice river that runs through your area that is coming down from Canada.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...0e151737?hl=en

If you mean the St Regis, she runs from the swamps and creeks north into the St Lawrence River at Akwesasne, the Mohawk Reservation.

If you zoom in closer and move the map east you will find Squeak Brook. Once you find Squeak Brook, zoom in some more, and where it crosses Hurley Road that is our property. This map must have been photographed a year and a half ago. The new back porch can be seen, but the popup beside Barbara's car isn't there. But it must have been in April or maybe October, because there are no leaves on the trees and the stacks of supers are there along the property line.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 12-22-2015 at 09:01 PM.
    Mark Berninghausen

Cool Yes, Thanks for explaining. I can see that the river widens as it gets closer to Akwesasne.
    I can see on the map where it says Brasher Falls there is some white water. Is that the falls that Brasher Falls is named after? They are part of
    the St. Regis? Main St. Goes right over them.

I found Vance Savages Garage and Ricks Auto up Vice Road.

It looks pretty up in Brasher Falls
    Last edited by virginiawolf; 12-22-2015 at 09:20 PM.

My place is on Hurley Road, which is west of Brasher Falls. Pan west from Brasher Falls until you get to Brasher Falls-Winthrop and you will see Rt 420. Go north on 420 until you come to the first cross road. That's Mahoney Road. Go west on Mahoney 1/2 mile, then turn south onto Hurley Road and go 1/2 mile and you will be at my house.
    Mark Berninghausen

I may have found some bee boxes just after Squeak Brook on the edge of a field. I was also looking for some Pine Trees that I remember that you said that you planted.

Wait a minute. There is a truck pulling onto Hurley Road. Is that you? It must be In action.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//370....8156539?hl=en

No, were are up the road at 437 Hurley Road.
    Mark Berninghausen

It looks pretty there. You have space and the Squeak Brook.
    Last edited by virginiawolf; 12-22-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Hi Mark, I hope that you had a nice Christmas. Are you on a break now until you go back to get the bees? What happens next? Is your new truck all set up for moving bees?

Yeah, break, I guess. Packing some honey. Making some deliveries. Waxing plastic frames and putting them in nuc boxes for use in SC in a couple month. Have 400 shallow supers need painting.

Making arrangements to have the new bed built. Want to get that started soon.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Spend some time with them going over in detail exactly what you want. Draw it out, give them photos, even bring in a bee pallet or 2 so they can see what you will be hauling. Pretty much everytime I've had this done there has still been some sort of screwup that I've had to deal with.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Screw ups expected.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Mark, how long will the build take?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I don't know. The shop is a professional heavy truck garage with a fabrication shop. So once they have time to dedicate to it I would think a week would do it. But I don't have anything upon which to base that thought. I didn't ask that question. I'm hoping to not have to drive the old truck south again.
    Mark Berninghausen

Hi Mark, Thanks for explaining what you are up to. It sounds like you get to prepare for upcoming work at all times.

I'll have to look at some videos again of people loading and unloading bees to see what the truck beds look like. I hadn't noticed before that they were customized. Hopefully the fabrication shop will do their best to make the bed to your liking. It sounds like providing as much detail for what you want like Jim said would be a good plan. Is the old truck set up as a good example to go by?

When you paint 400 boxes what is your method of applying the paint?

I found this video of bees being unloaded.

https://youtu.be/vcp4X5n_yhY

And this one as well. I can see the bees flying in this one.

https://youtu.be/fH0W24jHtsY

Wow!!!!

For photos of a bee-truck bed posted by Jim Lyon, see post #22 of this thread: https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ld-Ideas/page2

For more bee-truck photos previously posted on Beesource, copy-n-paste the search phrase below into a Google Search box:

truck bed site:beesource.com

Once the search returns results, click on the "Images" tab near the top of the page. Note: this search is specifically limited to just photos on Beesource by the "site:" keyword.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thank You Graham, I looked around at some of the excellent photos of trucks with bees on them.
    I noticed a good bit of discussion about the methods of strapping the hives down.
    I observed that on the sides of the truck beds there are metal sections that look like they are made for the trucker to feed the straps through.
    I can see now that based on quantity of bees and the arrangement of the pallets the Trucker would want the bed designed so that the pallets
    of bees that are arranged will correlate to the sections on the edges that receive the straps. I can see why the bed will play a critical role in the loading and unloading and strapping work. This line of work impresses me. It looks difficult and challenging but also exciting. If I ever lose my job I may have to see about going on the road with some local bee truckers that I know. I don't think that they would pay me much to start but it would be an adventure and get me in shape. I think that I would enjoy it.
    I got this picture from the other thread.
    Bees on Flat Bed.jpg

It may be interesting to try VW. I hope you don't lose your job though. I'm pretty sure its a pretty tough slog. One of these days I'm going to ride down and help Mark just for the experience if he will have me. Pretty sure he will. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

I don't plan on losing my job but sometimes I wonder about an alternate career choice maybe down the road. I have considered several things but something beekeeping related would appeal to me. I have read before on the subject and ideally I would need to be able to operate the loader and get a license to the drive the trucks. I am a long way off. The guys that I know were looking for part timers a few summers ago and they knew me so the offer was out there. I think that they load and off load by hand a good bit. They had a custom 2 man lifter and were able to move hives in a snap. It grabbed the hive handles and each guy grabbed a side. I'm comfortable with bees so doing things like looking through hives and feeding bees and things like that are things that I think that I could be a good worker at. To do it on a mass scale would be new to me. Seeing these pictures has been inspirational. I take my hat off to these guys.

It would be cool if you could go with Mark in the spring

VirginiaWolf:

May I suggest that you show up in shape and the likelyhood of you getting and keeping the job increases dramatically. All the best with your current job.

Jean-Marc

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast