Default Re: Blackberry Mead

Quote Originally Posted by BeeAttitudes View Post
    Here is a picture of the carboy:

How long has that been fermenting??

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

when that picture was posted, About 15 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    when that picture was posted, About 15 days.
    Awesome, Does Mead not create krausen? On all the beers I brew and ferment, I get a thick layer of foamy krausen during the fermentation and it leaves my carboys all scummy from it. To have one that clean it would have to be in secondary fermentation.

I've never made mead before, I know about it from homebrewing beer, but when I get some excess honey I might have to make a batch!

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
    Does Mead not create krausen?
    Not the way a proteinaceous bev like beer does. It'll raise a good head at high primary but the bubbles aren't very persistent.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

give it a stir you will get yourself some foam.

Knucklehead
    Nice carboy. Is it a 2 gallon? I've got 2+ gallons of raspberry fermenting that j started on 11/10/15. I'll do the 4th racking this weekend. I've got it in a 3 gal carboy since it's in excess of 2 gallons. When I racked it last time I gassed it with Aragon to cover the head space. It tastes good already but I'm going to let it ferment at least a year then will probl need to back sweeten it. I started 2 more gallons on Jan 7 but used sugar so it's wine not mead- didn't want to use up any more honey. So far the mead tasted better than the wine from the get go. I'm starting a gallon of port blackberry wine this weekend. I've got a freezer full of berries.
    Has anyone ever made blackberry port?
    Bonnie

Here's a pic of my mead that's going to be racked soon. This is the one I argon gassed and also filled the airlock with vodka per recommendation of our local new shop and something I read somewhere when researching. image.jpg.
    Bonnie

That wasn't my carboy, I just quoted the OPs pic. Here are all my carboys, on a small cedar carboy stand I made, sadly they are currently empty!

I need to get back to brewing!

carboy.jpg

THere was an early on comment about it being difficult to make a product like mead sweet due to yeast consuming all the sugar. It is actually quite easy.

For a low alcohol product (cheap beer) one can ferment to completion, add a chemical like K Sorb to keep further fermentation, then add more sugar.
    Or, stop the fermentation while still sweet, add K sorb.

Otherwise, choose a yeast with a known ETOH tolerance, add more honey than the yeast can handle.

In other words, choose a yeast that will ferment up to 13% ETOH and add honey/sugarsource for a 14% batch.

I've found out the hard way you should never bottle anything with honey in it without first stabilizing it (both Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Metabisulfite). Wines, meads and melomels containing significant honey content have a tendency to go through a post bottling fermentation and can occur up to a year after bottling. Even if they were fermented to full dryness (wine, melomel, mead) or to the alcohol tolerance of the yeast (ports). It's never a good thing when you step on a cork on the floor of the wine cellar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123