Belief in Beekeeping - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Belief in Beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    crofter>> post #38 well said!
    Yes. An open mind first...
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Good thread Michael.

I have to say, however, your timing is way off. This is excellent "cabin fever" material. You're a couple months early.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    "If beekeeping was easy, everyone would be doing it".
    You automated processes and you haven't figured out that beekeeping is easy? What the hay did you automate?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Good thread Michael.

I have to say, however, your timing is way off. This is excellent "cabin fever" material. You're a couple months early.
    I'm pretty confident Barry has a clause somewhere in the rules which forbids the mention of "cabin fever" before January 10, if it happens on tailgator it of course then gets shut down for a couple of weeks....oh the memories!.

Is a good post Michael, My Grandfathers people, Seneca, always taught us to dream our life and then live in that dream. Then things make sense as to what belongs and what does not. You certainly accomplish more if you dream big. When someone had a good life we would always tell them you dream well! Michael, you dream well!

I understand completely, Michael. Great subject.

When we opened our current restaurant 10 years ago I had a whole new kitchen crew who had never worked with me. As I set up the systems.......How to heat and cool the food safely so we didn't get anyone sick(never have!).....How to set up the walk-in, raw veggies closest to the door, raw meat in back on the bottom shelf, dairy on the top shelf...........that sort of thing. How to set up the line, the prep area, the cleaning schedule, on and on.

I got a lot of "Why". A lot of questions. Finally, in exasperation I told them, "Do the things I tell you, the way I tell you, and this kitchen will run smoothly. You'll see, give it a chance."

At first it was chaos, it took all my will power to push, cajole, intimidate my staff to do things my way. I culled the people who would not cooperate and promoted the folks who "Bought in".

You know what? Now the kitchen runs like a sewing machine. Smooth! We win "Best of..." awards every year.

So I understand your ideas in my own way. Beekeeping is not about blind belief, but it is about believing in a system that will work. And that belief helps you weather the inevitable mistakes, bad winters, EFB, all the challenges of beekeeping. Belief enables perseverance. Perseverance keeps you going so you learn the lessons you need. Those lessons translate into a skill. That skill eventually gives you success.

But if you don't trust yourself and have passion you will not succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    You automated processes and you haven't figured out that beekeeping is easy? What the hay did you automate?
    Machinery that originally had people like you pushing buttons and flipping toggle switches.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

LMAO Where is the push buttons and toggle switches?

http://vid697.photobucket.com/albums...ps3862beae.mp4
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The essential part of the formula is reality.

An excellent example would be treatment free beekeeping...
    It applies equally to treatment beekeeping as well. If you don't buy in enough to go to the effort to educate yourself and do what has to be done at the time it needs doing you often fail just as completely. For example if you apply the wrong treatment (apiguard when it is too cool FE) or apply the treatment incorrectly or at the wrong dosage - or do everything right except the hive is already too far gone... the result can be the classic "I treated and my bees died anyway." Even those things that do work have limits outside of which they will fail.

This isn't a dig at anyone. I completely agree with Michael Bush on this. Almost anything worth doing requires a certain degree of commitment if there is any hope of it working out. It's hard to commit to something you don't really believe in. Of course no amt of faith or commitment will make the impossible work - but it can make the improbable work on occasion.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I knew it was a risk to say this and that certain people would take things out of context and that most people would not bother to figure out my point. Instead they jump to their own conclusions about what I said without listening to what I said. This is clear by many of the above posts. Hopefully some of you will actually try to see my point.

I am NOT saying that you can merely believe your way to anything. I'm NOT saying that faith by itself is the solution to anything. The point is that to make something work, you have to believe that it is POSSIBLE to make it work. And then you have to figure out the DETAILS that are REQUIRED to make it work, by expanding your paradigm to include those details as you discover them. And then you have to work your behind off to MAKE it work. The point is that belief changes your actions and motivates you to figure out and deal with the details THAT, in addition to work, makes the difference between success and failure. Reality is complicated and you need the motivation that belief provides to work through the details.
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I see it every day in my husband. He knew nothing about construction, yet we live in a house he built. (not subcontracted, his hands built this house) There isn't anything he cannot do. If he doesn't know how, he will figure it out. He is constantly telling me that without failure, you will never succeed at anything. Those who never succeed, have never failed at anything.

He also tells me that he doesn't get paid for the work he does, he gets paid because he can solve problems.
    On my 5th year with bees, 2 hives.

It seems to me that most "realists" are actually "pessimists".
    Pessimists are optimists with experience.

PS:
    I am pessimistic in what I am thinking.
    But optimistic in what I am doing.

I believe you can make the GoPro video camera (that you already bought) work, so we can see the wonder-bees.

Just be firm in your belief.

Michael, I agree with your belief that mite tolarant treatment free bees are possible. I believe that they exist. And as people like you select from the successful survivors, we are impacting the speed of the treatment free evolution. But its very difficult to keep VSH in an apairy, especially for a hobbist.

And thats where I think you do a disservice to the newbees. You convince them that they dont need to monitor, or treat for mites. This is simply not fair to them, they are not seeking the magic solution, all they want is bees that make the winter and provide a few extra bucket of honey to eat or sell. Your mission to evangilize the hobby community is the part I take issue with.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Almost anything worth doing requires a certain degree of commitment if there is any hope of it working out. It's hard to commit to something you don't really believe in. Of course no amt of faith or commitment will make the impossible work - but it can make the improbable work on occasion.
    Well said David. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post

Couple awful long posts today from the OP who said he doesn't have time to check his bees in another thread...

I've seen Michael type, probably didn't take him more then 5 minutes.

MB, I was being a little sarcastic and making a joke, I interpreted your message loud and clear. I work very hard at my beekeeping, anyone who knows me or that I've helped know this. Albeit, sometimes I don't have the time to really get the bees in the shape they need to be, but that's the reality of working full time in Ag Research and having 3 young children. My end goal is to produce TF bees that stand up to the rigors of different locations and are genetically stable. I have no inclinations of it being an easy task but I believe I can do it or at least make good progress trying.

What one can conceive, one can build!
    This is the given innate power of our creativity.
    Everything follow a known principle call the universal truth.
    If Langstroth did not experiment and invent then we will not
    know the secret of the Langs hives today.
    So what have you tweeked to improve on your apiary situation?
    * The jar cell queen method. Thanks, KC!
    * The stationary oav gadget. Thanks, Barry!
    * The no drill, 3-way mating nuc method. Thanks, beepro!
    Ongoing:
    * The universal non-graft frame queen rearing method (goes with the jar cell queen method.)
    * The universal stationary oav gadget--V3 (all can make them.)

If JR concentrate all his expensive mite fighting queens and drones in the
    same isolated apiary then something should give. The secret is in the drones.
    If he raise a grandson then the next generation will take over since the current one doesn't like his bees.
    If I control the mites this winter then my apiary will grow next Spring.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

...“Pessimism never won any battle.”—Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Actually, it did. Grant was pessimistic about the book on military tactics while he was at West Point. He did not even read it. He said, "Military tactics are extremely simple. Find your enemy. Get to him as quickly as you can. Hit him as hard as you can. Hit him as often as you can. Move on to the next target." He did exactly that and defeated the author of the book on tactics. Warriors familiar with Ulysses Grant said of him, "Old 'Lys don't scare worth a [email protected]"

A pessimist who did not want to become a soldier, who failed at farming, who kept getting promoted up in rank, who won the Civil War, and became President. While he did not believe in much, let alone himself, he did do a lot of things right. People genuinely loved him. Even his enemies respected him. He changed history.

Eisenhower knew this, but he was not going to say it.

Incidentally, optimism probably killed Pickett and his boys, but it could also be traced to very poor intel.

If only I intuitively knew when to believe, when to doubt, when to have a blank mind (and when to shut up, and when to strike first, etc.)...I might have learned more much earlier in life, and accomplished more. I am still training myself in this.
    The difference seems to be the rate at which we learn.
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 10-07-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    MB, I was being a little sarcastic and making a joke, I interpreted your message loud and clear. I work very hard at my beekeeping, anyone who knows me or that I've helped know this. Albeit, sometimes I don't have the time to really get the bees in the shape they need to be, but that's the reality of working full time in Ag Research and having 3 young children. My end goal is to produce TF bees that stand up to the rigors of different locations and are genetically stable. I have no inclinations of it being an easy task but I believe I can do it or at least make good progress trying.
    That my friend, is the post of the day. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

When a person is venturing into the unknown I dont think it wise to entertain only positive ideas. Always have a rain day plan and an escape route. I dont feel these notions indicate less than 100% commitment.
    Now if you are trying to gather recruits for a risky undertaking then by all means minimize the risks and guarantee a happy and certain outcome. Some will think this is entrapment but it is common practice. That is probably what Sharpdog sees.
    Frank

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast